Re: presario 5000us floppy? motherboard? fried? (151 Views)
jiz
Occasional Visitor
jiz
Message 1 of 8 (151 Views)

presario 5000us floppy? motherboard? fried?

ok first off if i posted this in the wrong section sorry these forums are to confusing i dont know where to put this.

anyways my sisters computer is jacked plain and simple first i thought it was her floppy drive that wasnt working but i tried it on my computer and it works could it be the cord that goes to the motherboard? you know the gray ribbon. her computer doesnt work it turns on and all the lights from the cdrom and hard drive work but her floppy doesnt she bought a new floppy to see if that was the problem but the new one didnt work either. could the motherboard be messed up?her computer doesnt load at all its just a black screen she hasnt used her computer in over a year and personally i think compaqs bad i have a hp and i never had this much problems like she does. anyways could the motherboard not give the power to the floppy for it to work or is the motherboard fried? if she has to get a new motherboard i think that's bad since she bought it for $700 shes had nothing but problems with it.i have dont everything possible to fix it from reseting the cmos to disconnecting things but nothing seems to work her floppy use to come on for brief times then it would freeze now it doesnt come on at all. any help especially from techs whos should know the problems would be helpfull.

thanks
Honored Contributor
Rudy_8
Message 2 of 8 (151 Views)

Re: presario 5000us floppy? motherboard? fried?

Calm down...it sat for a year.

Replace the CMOS battery....on mobo, about the size of a quarter...should be P/N cr 2032....less than $3 at WalMart, any hardware store.

Want to check it first...take it in your hand to any "real" hardware store like a "Hardware Hank" and the owner wil check it for you. At mine you can enjoy a free cup of coffee while he does that. Or you can take it to a shop like "batteries plus" and they will check it also....new one will be $4.

Probably $5 at BestBuy...and no checking the old one first.

Ya see, the cmos battery is needed so the PC can remember all of it's "settings". Obviously doesn't.

By the way, all contributors here are volunteers...not HP employees. If you read the forum guidelines, log in here as instructed and click on the "unassigned" by my post, you may award points. We don't get money or free stuff...just points.

If you want more to do before you try the battery (the one in your PC is probably the same one) you could unplug and replug all the cards, RAM, and cables within that machine. makes new, fresh and clean contacts.

By the way, I have an old COMPAQ presario here...PII. Never had a problem...did replace the battery once but that happens to all PC's. cheap maintenance.

have a good one!!!
I do not need to know everything. I just need to know where to go to get the information.
Frequent Advisor
Mike_665
Message 3 of 8 (151 Views)

I would first check if the floppy is enable in the bios.
jiz
Occasional Visitor
jiz
Message 4 of 8 (151 Views)

that wont work seeing that i get a black screen because the computer wont start. i havent tried the battery thing yet but i will today and i will have the results of it.
jiz
Occasional Visitor
jiz
Message 5 of 8 (151 Views)

ok i changed everything on the motherboard except for the chip. nothing i have a new hard drive connections to everything new floppy nothing it sill wont start up. everything works but it still wont start up in other words i get a black screen. i cannot go into the bios or anything because it doesnt start up.

i dont get it i removed the AMD chip blew out any dust put it back in still nothing. everything starts up the harddrive the cdrom but thats it it just hangs nothing shows up in the monitor cant press anything nothing works. is my AMD chip fried?

i dont understand why it would my sis never overclocked it she only used this $$$$ computer that died after 1 year to surf the internet and play some games. everything on it is origanal nothing added to it. even with new things added still doesnt work.

is there anyway to force it to start up?
im mad this computer cost a lot of money and for it to die 1 year exactly after the warranty expired sucks.

could it just be the AMD chip if i buy a new one what are the chances of it getting fried or ruined? i dont know if its the motherboard how would i check it other then what i have done already?

any help would be nice.
Honored Contributor
Roger Faucher
Message 6 of 8 (151 Views)

jiz:

It could be the processor, but it could also be the power supply or the video card. Power the machine on and watch the lights on the keyboard intently for a minute or so. Most systems will flash the Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock lights all at the same time during startup. If that doesn't happen, then the processor or PS might be the culprit. If it does, try reseating the AGP video card (with power off, of course) ;-). If still fails, try inserting a PCI video card (or a different AGP video card) and pull the existing video card.
Give us more detail about what lights/actions occur and in what sequence. Does her system have a hard disk drive activity light? Does it come on and flash as if the system is actually booting up?

Thanks and make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
jiz
Occasional Visitor
jiz
Message 7 of 8 (151 Views)

ok i tried the power supply switch i did it with mine that works, nothing happened. the keyboard i don't know because it doesnt come on. the hard drive comes on so does the cdrom drive and the fan for the amd chip that all that comes on. i have switched the graphics card as well same thing nothing. so i'm guessing that the motherboard work and its down to the prossesor?
Honored Contributor
Roger Faucher
Message 8 of 8 (151 Views)

jiz:

This page will help you (maybe?) nail down the exact model number:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?dlc=en&lc=en&product=92874〈=en&cc=us&docname=c00004461

If it is a 5000US, the specifications (specs) are here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=92874〈=en&cc=us&docname=c00009321

With the specs, you should be able to find out what the best processor (AMD chip) would be to buy to put it the system.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.