Re: No daily notifications (1403 Views)
Honored Contributor
Shawn
Message 26 of 55 (1,353 Views)

Re: No daily notifications

Are we the only ones? Or is everybody in the same shape?
Maybe the servers are overwhelmed with all the questions about downgrading Vista machines(take a hint guys)also scanners and printers not working with xp's SP3 and IE7.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 27 of 55 (1,353 Views)

Shawn,
|| Are we the only ones? Or is everybody in the same shape?

For sure it's not just the few ones complaining.
Maybe most of the folks just don't work along the "daily-notifications" feature.

AFAICS the feature is relevant for those who *actively* work in the forums.
For *Me* it's important. I was really active for quite some time but my field only is the ooooold CPQ notebooks. Not too many new threads on these machines these days. And I simply do not find the time to go through the forum day by day to check what might be asked for in my field of competence.
So the "daily notifications" just show me if there is a topic on the menu where I might be of help.
So for *Me* it's just a basic thing to be notified.

Different with others who just come by every now and then.

|| Maybe the servers are overwhelmed with all the questions about
|| downgrading Vista machines(take a hint guys)
|| also scanners and printers not working with xp's SP3 and IE7.

ROFLMAO

Rainald
Frequent Advisor
David M. Mason
Message 28 of 55 (1,353 Views)

It has been over a month now since I received a daily notice. It appears, as others have said, that HP no longer wishes to support this forum.
I used the daily notifications to keep up to date on changes and new items and offer my input, but without daily notices I do not have the time to spend going through the entire forums.
Too bad, because they offered some great info and had dedicated contributors. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for a more supportive forum.
HP staff doesn't even reply to these messages. I have even posted on the IT forum with similar lack of response.
Vajith V
Message 29 of 55 (1,353 Views)

Hi David,

Sorry for any inconvenience. Lab is working on this issue to fix.

We are following up with the lab on regular basis and trying to get it fixed ASAP. Please be patient.

Thanks,
Vajith
Frequent Advisor
David M. Mason
Message 30 of 55 (1,353 Views)

Thanks, Vajith for the reply.
I'm glad someone at HP reads these.
But why does it take a month or longer for the lab to look at this ongoing problem?
I'll wait a while longer before giving up totally.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 31 of 55 (1,486 Views)

Vajith,
thanks for the reply.

It's a really grotesque thing.
A mjor player in the field of IT hardware and service is unable to fix a very basic thing.

Absolutely Incredible (the more as this a *repeating* thing!!)

Who would be the person in charge on the level of CEO / CTO of HP?
IMO it would be high time to get the "chiefs" involved.

Regards from a very angry forum user and supporter

Rainald
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 32 of 55 (1,486 Views)

Rainald,

Got one today I think (forgot what they look like, so not sure). Hopefully tomorrow too, and the next day, and the next day, and...we'll see. Hope this isn't a harbinger of an earthquake or total financial collapse of the US economy or something.

Pat

PS, reading your last reply, you can email the CEO. Of course, now that the email notifications are working again, the Contact HP link is down. I'm getting: The page you requested can not be found.

Anyway, if you can connect to that, and dig around a bit, somewhere in a sub-page is a link to email Mark Hurd (the CEO).

It won't really get to him of course, but someone on his staff will read it and respond. I've had good success with it when the normal channels ignore me.

Pat
Frequent Advisor
David M. Mason
Message 33 of 55 (1,486 Views)

Well, I also got the first daily notification today. Just wondered what I missed over the last two months that it was down. Not going to get my hopes up, just wait and see if it lasts.
Honored Contributor
Gary Cantwell
Message 34 of 55 (1,486 Views)

Hi Pat,

Thanks for reporting the problem with the Contact us page - I've reported it,

Cheers,

Gary

Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 35 of 55 (1,486 Views)

Pat & David,
thanks for reporting what might seem to be a success ;-) ;-)
I received a notification too yesterday, not yet today.

In the parallel thread in the ITRC forums
"July-September System Performance and availability Thread"
http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1245235&admit=109447627+122226...

Gary Cantwell has posted:
"Thanks for reporting in on notifications, just under 50,000 were sent out last night, we're monitoring the system closely..."

Let's pray & see if the fix works persistently.

Rainald
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 36 of 55 (1,486 Views)

One more quick update regarding the forum notification emails - the lab has informed me that while the process is working again, the mails are being sent much more slowly than usual. They are investigating the issue and hope to have it resolved very quickly, but in the meantime, notification emails may be limited to being sent every other day, due to the sheer number of messages the system needs to generate.

We'll post any additional updates as soon as we have more information - thanks for your continued patience!
I work for HP.
Honored Contributor
Gary Cantwell
Message 37 of 55 (1,486 Views)

Hi Rainald,

The Contact HP page is now working,

Cheers,

Gary

Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 38 of 55 (1,486 Views)

Hi Gary,

Thanks for reporting back on the Contact Us link.

FYI: I did, as I said, receive one New HP Forum Discussions email. It was "for Tue Sep 23 13:22:45 GMT 2008".

Exchange reports it received here Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:30:14 -0700 (MST). MST because we're in Arizona, and Arizona doesn't go on daylight savings time. -0700 is the correct adjustment for us from GMT, so this would have been received here at 21:30:14 GMT.

I have not received any New HP Forum Discussions emails since. I should have gotten at least one, if not two, in the interim.

I'll post another reply when I do receive the next one.

Pat
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 39 of 55 (1,486 Views)

The system seems to work but not really flawlessly.

Got things for the following days:
Set. 23, 26, 29, 30,
Oct 1.
Nothing for other days.

Rainald

Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 40 of 55 (1,486 Views)

Updating my experience, or lack thereof, on receipt of the New HP Forums Discussions emails:

I have received them for (date in the "for" line)
8/7
9/23
9/30
10/01
10/02

Note that these dates differ from some of the experiences reported by at least Rainald above and by other members in the ITRC thread.

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1245235

Pat
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 41 of 55 (1,403 Views)

I wanted to give everyone an update on the daily notification emails - the notifications have been stable now for over a week, and we are now back to sending out daily reminders (there was a period where most users were only getting an email every other day). I realize this issue took a while to resolve - thanks to everyone for their patience and understanding!

If you are still not receiving any notification emails, please check your email address in your forums profile and ensure it's a current and valid address.
I work for HP.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 42 of 55 (1,403 Views)

Kevin,
yes, things seem to be OK again.

Thanks fro taking care.

Rainald
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 43 of 55 (1,403 Views)

Kevin,

Thanks very much for getting back to us. The notifications have been fine the last few days.

Pat
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 44 of 55 (1,403 Views)

We're having problems with the daily notification emails again, and also apparently with the forums search.

Emails: I haven't received a daily notification email since "New HP Forum Discussions for Tue Dec 30 01:06:14 GMT 2008".

Search: To find this thread so I could post this reply, I did a BSC forums search for the terms: Rainald and notifications. There were no recent results.

Not being sure about the term notifications, I then searched for just the term: Rainald. The most recent result is for a thread with a posting date of 06/04/07, subject "N400C Evo power requirements. Question for: Rainald or anyone".

I then went to Google and searched the terms: Rainald and notifications, site: hp.com, and found this thread "No daily notifications", posting date Apr 21, 2008 11:20:37 GMT, immediately.

I'd appreciate some feedback from a moderator or HP person if possible as to when these might be resolved.

Thanks,
Pat
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 45 of 55 (1,403 Views)

Unfortunately I have to confirm Pat'*S FINDINGS on notifications (I did not try out the search).

Pleaaase MODERATORS take car of the issue.
I seriously hope it will not take weeks again to get things sorted.

Rainald

Vajith V
Message 46 of 55 (1,403 Views)

Thanks Pat & Rainald.

Wish you a very happy new year!

I have received daily notification e-mail today. Please let me know if this problem has been solved at your end as well?

Best Regards,
Vajith
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 47 of 55 (1,403 Views)

Thanks, Vajith!
Yes I receeived a notification today too.

Raianld
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 48 of 55 (1,403 Views)

Thanks Vajith,

I also received a "New HP Forum Discussions for Mon Jan 05 05:14:52 GMT 2009" this morning. Received by our mail server 1/5 at 02:00:39 (GMT -7:00). Hopefully a resumption of service and not just a one time thing.

The search is still returning the same results, so it appears to have lost track of everything in the last year or so.

Thanks,
Pat
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 49 of 55 (1,403 Views)

Pat,

A few things on what's happening with the search function here.

* If you run a search from the "Search:" textbox in the top banner, that's actually running a search across the entire Business Support site, but limiting the results to hits from the forum. The "Updated Date" column in the results list is a bit confusing in this context, because the date passed to the search engine is actually the date the *thread* matching the search was created, not the date when the *post* matching the search was added to the thread. In other words, this particular thread will always show a date of April 21, 2008 - as that was the date the thread was started.

* If you use the "Forums advanced search" option next to the Search: box, you'll encounter the same issue with regards to the date, but the heading in the results list is "posting date", which may be a bit more clear. But it's still only going to know about the thread creation dates.

* If you search for "no daily notifications" using either method, this thread should be the first result (obviously already knowing the thread title is not usually going to be the case when looking for something via search, but it demonstrates the search engine is working correctly).

* "Notifications" is going to be a tricky word for the search engine, as that word occurs on *every* forum page in the form of the mouse-over text for the "Notify Me" button (while only displayed with a mouse-over, it's in the source code for the page, which is what's indexed). And since the search results cut off the number of results for any one particular forum @ 50, searching for "Rainald and notifications" is going to, as you've noticed, return a lot of results - since Rainald is such a busy forums contributor!

Our search experience is certainly something we're looking at improving for up-coming releases, and I hope that some of these types of issues may be cleared up down the road. As you've found, Google can sometimes return better results than our own search function - that's something we'd like to address.

If you still believe the search feature isn't working properly, and you know of a particular search string that doesn't behave the same way today as it did in the past, please let me know.
I work for HP.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 50 of 55 (1,403 Views)

Kevin,

I always use the Forums advanced search. And thanks. You made me really look at the advanced search functions for the first time. I'm going to list my stumbles before a suggestion since I think they're probably illustrative of what the average user might experience.

I repeated your suggested search using the exact phrase: no daily notifications, and you are correct that this thread was the first result.

My theory for the below is that if search is working correctly, then using an all words search, any single term should be searchable*.

I did the following 3 all words searches:

1st search terms: rainald daily notifications, and I did get this thread as the 2nd result.

2nd search terms: rainald notifications (as per your comment "searching for "Rainald and notifications" is going to, as you've noticed, return a lot of results"). I received 50 results as you said. This thread did not appear in the results. When I sorted the 2nd results by posting date, there were 2 results bracketing the date when Rainald posted this thread, Apr 21, 2008. They were:

evo d150 Business Support Forums 11/01/08.

and

N400C Evo power requirements. Question for: Rainald or anyone Business Support Forums 06/04/07.

I do appreciate your comment on the problematic use of the term notifications in a search.

3rd search using the single term: rainald. Again, this thread did not appear in the 50 results, and when the results were sorted by posting date, the same 2 results as above in the 2nd search bracket it.

I have noticed the 50 results limit per forum in the past. I would guess that relevance is the governing rule and that sorting the results by posting date does not result in a re-searching of the term. I also guess that if more than 50 results were allowed, this thread would have come up in the results but was omitted because it wasn't in the first 50 results found by the search engine?

I think it's working properly (based on my assumptions above), given the 50 results per forum limit.

This is when I went back and really looked at the choices on the search page. I was able to find this thread by searching the single term rainald, sorting by date, AND limiting the search to Date Posted: last year.

Suggestion: I feel that 50 results is much too restrictive in today's world given the hoops I had to go through to find this thread using a single term. I do not have it saved to favorites, did not remember the subject words (thought it said emails instead of notifications) of the thread correctly, and to find it for my 1/4/09 reply, I had tried a single word search for rainald. Of course it didn't come up. I finally found it by looking at Rainald's profile.

So I would suggest either:

1. Expanding that 50 result limit significantly to be comparable to modern search sites. For example searching the single term rainald, site:hp.com, at google returns "9,920 English pages from hp.com for rainald".

2. HP may want to consider actually using Google for the search funtion within HP.com as so many other sites have done as opposed to continuing to maintain it's own search functions.

Thanks,
Pat

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.