Re: Can you redesign the forum please? (318 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CA1250554
Message 1 of 15 (380 Views)

Can you redesign the forum please?

I know - I've been here before and found the site extremely slow to load and almost impossible to navigate successfully.

Is there a particular reason for the current design? It is so unfriendly.

The content on the other hand looks to be excellent.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
CA985583
Message 2 of 15 (380 Views)

Re: Can you redesign the forum please?

I agree and also a search function would be really good.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
BR141494
Message 3 of 15 (380 Views)

I'm not sure what improvements you'd like to see to the forums? Personally, I don't find them slow, (I'm in the UK) so maybe it's a problem with either your ISP or whoever's DNS servers you're using.

In terms of searching you can try either:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/james/bizsupport/home.do?from=bsdforums
or
http://www5.itrc.hp.com/service/james/home.do?admit=552267591+1108542797824+28353475
(don't ask me about 'james' in the URL, I've got no idea).

The former is to search the Business support Forums only, the latter you can also search ITRC.

regards,

Gary
Life's a beach, and then you dive!
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Kusuma
Message 4 of 15 (380 Views)

Hi MrT49,

Thanks for your suggestions.

The Forum website is working very fine. Yes, sometimes the website access is slow but otherwise the speed is good. Please let us know if you are still facing any problem while accessing the Forum website.

About re-designing the Forum, can you please provide us more information? That will help us to analyze and do the needful.

Best Regards,
Kusuma
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Simon McKenzie
Message 5 of 15 (380 Views)

What I'd like is the last update time (local time) as well as the date to be displayed. It'd be easier to tell which ones I've read. Also, a mark next to posts which I've posted to, and a different mark if I was the most recent contributor.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
christak
Message 6 of 15 (380 Views)

I'd like the database of past threads to be searchable immediately after being posted, instead of after a two week or so delay...

If I answer a question "today" on some thread, and then have a similar question to answer in a day or two -- I'd like to be able to refer to my first answer. However, I can't successfully "search" for that post for about two weeks after it was posted... Why is that?

Manually trying to find the thread/post is a very time consuming task...
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 7 of 15 (380 Views)

Christak,
I fully second your wish.
Meanwhile I often save posting as TXT-files to have them at hand later

Rainald
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 8 of 15 (380 Views)

Kusuma,
for me in Germany the website has been really slow in klast two weeks.
Although I'm having a DSL-connction which normally ist really fast, it's awful at times. It's a bit better at times but not at all satisfactory.

Rainald
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Kusuma
Message 9 of 15 (380 Views)

Hi Simon, Christak and Rainald,

Thank you for your valuable suggestions. Your points are noted. I'll will inform the support team to do the needful.

Yes, the forum website was down for a while and this has been reported. Hope the issue will be resolved soon. Meanwhile, thanks for your patience.

Best Regards,
Kusuma
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
lowster
Message 10 of 15 (380 Views)

I think the site is great, no probs with speed, just remember to keep your cookies, I have one seperate browser just for here so I don't have any garbage when I'm cruzzin', what I would like to see is all the search engines in one spot, I seem to have more luck jumppin' the boarder to support & drivers, If everybody could have the engines with the profiles and forums all in their own spot it would be like here but, everything would be just a mouse-click away.If you look you can find all of your reply's in your profile, all in perfect order so it's easy to go back and see if somebodys left hanging from a week ago waiting for your answer, the only complaint I have is hhhhhmmmm,, maybe when we answer questions and you don't get a reply, whish is nothing Later

Chris.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
CA1245540
Message 11 of 15 (318 Views)

Two things that would make these forums much more useful (in my opinion anyway) are:-

1 - Being able to see the message one is replying to. At the moment one just gets to see the first message in the thread which, if it's a long thread is pretty useless.

2 - It would be very useful if there was a way to include parts of the message one was replying to in one's reply. Then, when there are many points to answer, one can make it clear exactly what one is answering.

The ideal (for me) would be forums with an NNTP (Usenet news) interface as well as the normal forum interface. This would enable me to use familiar software and a decent editor rather than having to 'relearn the wheel' every time I use a forum.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
BR141494
Message 12 of 15 (318 Views)

Hi Chris,

The way I handle your first point is rather than clicking on the reply>> button, I right-click it and select Open Link in New Window, that way the original thread stays open.

Regards,

Gary
Life's a beach, and then you dive!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
CA1245540
Message 13 of 15 (318 Views)

Yes, OK, but it's working around the problem. Just about every other forum I've used allows one to see the thread while replying.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
CA1245540
Message 14 of 15 (318 Views)

Oh, and another thing, is there really no way to mark threads and messages as 'read' so that when one returns one only sees new threads and responses?

It all seems so horribly primitive when compared with a good newsreader.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1250554
Message 15 of 15 (318 Views)

It's been interesting viewing other people's ideas. The sort of features I like are many, and include all those listed above.

http://www.whirlpool.net.au/

The above link is one of the best forum designs I've come across - it allows one to view content at different levels, quote in replies, it's quite fast, it has an excellent search facility. Although it's a community-style forum and has some characteristics less suited to HP's corporate image, most of the actual design features (rather than the "look" features) would be great if you could do something similar here.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation