Re: Announcing the all-new Business Support Forums! (1600 Views)
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 1 of 15 (1,989 Views)

Announcing the all-new Business Support Forums!

I'm excited to finally be able to announce the upcoming transition from our legacy Business Support Forums platform to a brand-new, feature-rich community experience. This project has been in the works for some time now, and as we're approaching our deployment date we'd like to start sharing some specific details about the new forums platform, as well as information regarding the transition required to facilitate the release of the new forums tool.

We have a white paper available at http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02081062/c02081062.pdf that will give you a high-level overview of some of the new features and capabilities that the new forums platform will include. It's certainly not meant to be an exhaustive list, but it should give our users an idea of some of the exciting new forum features we'll be providing to the Business Support community.

We are planning to have the new forums available on Saturday, May 22nd. However, in order to bring all of our historical discussions and content into the new forum environment, we will be placing the existing BSC forums into a 'read-only' mode starting the morning of Wednesday, May 19th. This change will occur at approximately 6:30AM GMT. Between that point and the launch of the new platform on May 22nd, the forums will still be available for reading/browsing/searching - but no new contributions to the legacy forums will be allowed after that point. The reason for this is the content is being moved from one system and it's corresponding database to the new platform, and once that starts on the morning of the 19th any new content posted would not be migrated into the go-forward forums experience. We appreciate that this read-only period is not optimal, but we're confident that the new forums, and the enhanced/new features will be more than worth the wait. There will be a brief amount of forums downtime right before we make the change to the new platform on Saturday the 22nd, as some applications are going to be brought down and re-started.

As no new posts will be created during this period, the daily email notifications will be suspended - but as we'll now have additional and enhanced notification options available in the new forums (including RSS feeds), you'll be able to start signing up for those after May 22nd.

I'd like to use this discussion thread as a chance to interact with any of you in the community that may have questions about the transition and/or the new forums experience. I will check back as often as I can over the coming weeks and keep you informed regarding our progress as we near May 22nd, and the release of our new Business Support Forums platform!

Thanks for reading - and thanks for contributing to the community - while we're excited about the new technology, we know that you - the members of the community - are what make it such a great hp.com feature.
I work for HP.
Outstanding Contributor
Laura
Message 2 of 15 (1,989 Views)

Re: Announcing the all-new Business Support Forums!

Great news - I'm really excited about this. I have been contributing to these forums for about 9 years. I was just a stay at home mom at the time going through a personal tragedy. My husband gave me an Ipaq 3650 , I found these forums, realized that I could help people and started accumulating points! Each level I reached was such fun, but even more fun was helping others. These forums gave me a much needed distraction and I am so thankful that they were there.
Laura Rooke
Microsoft MVP - Windows Phone [2006,2007,2008,2009,2010]
Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 3 of 15 (1,989 Views)

New sounds good. I'm looking forward to it.
Esteemed Contributor
Jules
Message 4 of 15 (1,989 Views)

Thanks for the early notification Kevin.
Will existing logon and password transfer to the new system, or will we have to 'join up' again?
---++++Only read the manual as a last resort++++---.
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 5 of 15 (1,989 Views)

Laura - I'm glad to know that the forums were able to provide something even more valuable than technical assistance to you! Thanks for being such a long-time contributor to the forums.

Paul - I'm looking forward to everyone finally being able to experience the new forums!

Jules - Your existing HP Passport username and password will indeed work in the new forums - so you won't need to sign-up again.
I work for HP.
Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 6 of 15 (1,989 Views)

Will the "IT Resource Center" forums still remain on the "old" (current) forum design? Or will it be switching to the new design as well?

While on that subject (if you should happen to know), Will the "IT Resource Center" forums finally move over to the HP Passport authentication? Or will it remain as it is?

It is rather annoying that the IT Resource Center forums are not on the HP Passport system, but are part of HP and have the same forum design as the Business Support Forums ... and are even listed in the same notification emails I get everyday telling me about new forum discussions.
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 7 of 15 (1,989 Views)

Paul - excellent questions. Yes, the ITRC forums will be transitioning to the new forums platform as well, but that change won't be happening for a while yet. You actually touched on the primary reason for the delay between the two deployments with your second question, regarding HPP vs. the ITRC authentication system.

The new forums platform is designed and built around HPP for registration/sign-in. And the entire ITRC site will eventually be moving to HPP as well - as you mentioned, it's not a great user experience that we require different accounts/authentication systems for different parts of hp.com. So to rectify that, we're moving to using HP Passport as *the* login service - not just for forums.

So the good news is that, yes, the ITRC forums will also eventually move onto the new platform and receive all of the same updated capabilities and features. But the down side is that it's not something that can happen overnight due to the amount of changes required to utilize HPP. Stay tuned for additional announcements, including the timeframe for when the ITRC changes will be made.
I work for HP.
Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 8 of 15 (1,989 Views)

Thank you. That is also good news (and I'll be patient). :-)

Now for a "self-centered" question:
There are a LOT of points accumulated for a number of excellent and talented people who frequent these forums. Will their accumulated "points" be carried over to the new forums? I read in that document that there will be a "pat on the back" - "kudos" method of showing appreciation for information well given. Would the accumulated points and activity be converted to the new forums "kudos" system?
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 9 of 15 (1,989 Views)

Yet another great question, Paul.

We will absolutely carry over, into the new forums environment, recognition for the past contributions within the community. The recognition system is slightly different between the legacy "points" system, and the new "kudos" implementation - but they serve the same purpose.

One great enhancement between the two is the ability for people beyond just the author of the thread/question to provide feedback that one of the posted replies helped them solve their problem. Today, the only person who can award BSC/ITRC forum "points" to a reply is the user who started the thread. But we know that many additional forum readers may benefit from finding that same discussion, as they're experiencing a similar issue - and one or more of the replies may have helped them resolve that issue.

With the new "kudos" system, any registered user can indicate that any given post (as long as they didn't author it themselves) was something they found helpful - and that reply will have a visual identification to other forum users that their fellow community members marked it as such.

So moving from the legacy forums into the new platform, while we won't have the same ranking structure as we currently do on the BSC forums (Shining, Bright, Radiant, etc.), we will certainly have a system that indicates who our "super users" are - and even folks who have maxed out within the legacy BSC ranks, and achieved the amazing "Sweltering" title, will now have additional ranks to strive for within the new system.
I work for HP.
Acclaimed Contributor
Cheryl G.
Message 10 of 15 (1,989 Views)

I am excited about the changes coming soon.I have always enjoyed this forum, but participating at the new Consumer Forum since it opened 11/08 I have come to really appreciate the extra features it offers..hyperlinks, macros are just two that I think of instantly.Kudos is another great feature.It is very rewarding to have multiple people give kudos to a solution or tip that you provide and be able to realize how many actually benefited.
I believe everyone here will soon come to wonder how they ever did without all the extra goodies.It may take a bit of time and some adjustments, but is well worth the effort.
``````````````````````
**Clicking the KUDOS star on the left is a way to say 'Thanks'**
*To help others find solutions, click 'Accept as Solution' on a Reply that solves your issue*
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 11 of 15 (1,796 Views)

Something for our current forum community members to look into, prior to the transition...

We have, in the past, allowed forum user names to contain up to 50 characters. Within the new forum environment, we're reducing that in order to minimize potential problems with screen "real estate" when someone with an excessively long user name participates in a discussion.

After analyzing our current forum user names, we have decided to restrict the length on screen names in our new environment to 23 characters - this will impact less than 1% of our current user names.

You can update/modify your own screen name for the next week, prior to the read-only mode starting on Wednesday the 19th. Simply click on "Edit your profile" in the top portion of the left-hand navigation bar, and then select "View or modify my forums profile" from the following page. Your "Forums user name" will be displayed on the next page; make any necessary changes, and click on the "Submit>>" button at the bottom of the page. Any names beyond the new 23 character limit that are not updated prior to the transition will be truncated automatically.
I work for HP.
Outstanding Contributor
Prof Julie
Message 12 of 15 (1,796 Views)

Thanks for the heads up about what's getting ready to happen with the forum. I'm looking forward to the new functionality.

And thanks to HP for continuing to provide such a great place to share ideas and to get and receive help.
Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone Consumer
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 13 of 15 (1,796 Views)

Quick update - there will be a brief amount of forums downtime right before we make the change to the new platform on Saturday the 22nd, as some applications are going to be brought down and re-started.

I've added that bit to the overall description at the top of the thread.
I work for HP.
Frequent Advisor
Gregg Eshelman
Message 14 of 15 (1,796 Views)

Will the new forum take passwords longer than eight characters?
Regular Advisor
Nicholas Ragusano
Message 15 of 15 (1,600 Views)

This new forum style is all well and good--if it works.  First, I did not receive any notice of it until yesterday's email.  And that was only after I clicked on the link to a post.  Imagine the surprise when the new system came up.

The other problem with it was, after logging in, the link did not take me to the post.  I still cannot find it!

I wonder how many others ran into the same problem.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.