support contracts required for firmware downloads? (550 Views)
Advisor
Robert Deming
Message 1 of 7 (550 Views)

support contracts required for firmware downloads?

When I go to get firmware images, I now see a message that says "These downloads are available for customers in good standing under Warranty and/or Support Contract with Hewlett Packard".

It looks like this message occurs for both systems and PCI cards.

Should I expect that in the future only a support contract will be accepted, much as a support contract is now required to download HP-UX security patches?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Terry Hutchings
Message 2 of 7 (550 Views)

Re: support contracts required for firmware downloads?

I saw that message, but do not think it will go very far. Notice it says for customers in good standing under warranty or support contract. I have seen HP implement policies in the past similar to this, but it usually does not amount to anything.

I cannot see customers being denied downloads for their servers even if their servers are not covered under warranty (or contract) anymore.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Johan Guldmyr
Message 3 of 7 (550 Views)

Might be that you just didn't go the right way when trying to find the firmware.

What were you looking for?

Click the Kudos Star if this was a good post.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
LaneB
Message 4 of 7 (550 Views)

I just tried one myself, for one of my legacy systems (DL380 G3). Although I did see the notice (in red, no less), my download was not hindered or restricted in any way, outside of agreeing to Terms of Service (big whoopee).

Personally, I think someone in HP's Legal-Eagles department has too much time on their hands. ;-)

Happy tweaking.

Got Qwoob?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Johan Guldmyr
Message 5 of 7 (550 Views)

Ahh, now I've seen it too.

I like how chrome wants to translate the software license agreement from German to English. Not many 'real' words in there I guess :p

Maybe it's just to cover their backs.

Click the Kudos Star if this was a good post.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor
cnb
Message 6 of 7 (550 Views)

Is HP going down the same dirt road as Oracle?

Yes and I especially like this clause in the Agreement:

"d. To Use Software identified as an update or upgrade, You must first be licensed for the original Software identified by HP as eligible for the update or upgrade. If the update or upgrade is intended to substantially replace the original Software, after updating or upgrading, You may no longer Use the original Software that formed the basis for Your update or upgrade eligibility unless otherwise provided by HP in writing.

***Nothing in this Agreement grants You any right to purchase or receive Software updates, upgrades, or support, and HP is under no obligation to make such support available to you. Updates, upgrades, enhancements, or other Support may only be available under separate HP support agreements.***

You may contact HP to learn more about any support offerings HP may make available. HP reserves the right to require additional licenses and fees for Software upgrades or other enhancements, or for Use of the Software on upgraded devices. "

Yet, where is the infamous "I Agree to These Terms" button in order to get the file?

Does HP expect everyone to stop downloading drivers for their products because they don't have a Support Agreement?

BTW Which Support Agreement are they requiring? Hardware, Software or some other Firmware Agreement yet to to be determined?

So they just threw this up on the wall to see what would stick?

Really HP...too much time on your hands now that Oracle has thrown down the gauntlet? I think they would have better things to worry about. They accuse Oracle of being "anti-customer" and forcing support, yet they now play the same games.

Fools.

Now where is that annoying POP-UP ITRC survey that I always ignore...

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Robert_Jewell
Message 7 of 7 (550 Views)

I noted this today as well. Searching a bit led me to this post so I thought to bump it up on the radar.

I wonder...will the Business Support Center (www.hp.com/go/bizsupport) be tied to a service contract as well in coming months?

-Bob
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation