Re: Where has gone my fetish option "download a script that will ftp the patches" ??? (137 Views)
Honored Contributor
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Message 1 of 3 (137 Views)
Accepted Solution

Where has gone my fetish option "download a script that will ftp the patches" ???

Bonsoir,

Does anyone know what has happened to the very, very, very useful option "download a script that will ftp the patches". This option was accessible trough the "download patches" page, once you have done your market. It is no more visible (I tried with Firefox and IE) :-(

I hope it is just a bug from me ...

Thanks in advance

Eric
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Peter Nikitka
Message 2 of 3 (137 Views)

Re: Where has gone my fetish option "download a script that will ftp the patches" ???

Hi Eric,

I assume this was sacrificed to the new HP strategy for accessing patches.

Look at
http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docId=emr_na-c02476621&docLocale=en&admit=1094476...

and search for "Technology Changes".

mfG Peter
The Universe is a pretty big place, it's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space, right? Jodie Foster in "Contact"
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Message 3 of 3 (137 Views)

Re: Where has gone my fetish option "download a script that will ftp the patches" ???

:-((((((((((((((

After taking a look at the document pointed by peter, I just can't believe it ...

Some comments of my own on the first paragraph :

--> "Patch access will be restricted to ITRC web access for customers with a valid HP SW support contract."

- OK, I knew that

--> "That means that un-entitled patch access is no longer available from the ITRC for external users."

- OK, I can understand this as a normal result.

--> "Also, FTP access to patches on the ITRC is no longer available"

- WHY ?!?! Of course, access to the ftp site was opened to anonymous login. So un-entitled access was possible.

- But why did HP stop the whole ftp access instead of simply disabling anonymous access ? ftp is not so secure ? OK, just open it to a more secure protocol like sftp, enable authentication, ...

- For me it is about the same thing than having a sore foot and cutting off the whole foot to stop the pain ... So the reason given by HP to stop ftp access simply doesn't hold water.

In fact, what I really think, is that HP wants to impose swa, insight environments, and same gasworks of this kind. I hate insight and other "point-and-click" environment where everything seems to be easy and beautiful in this "brave new world". Marketing, that's all.

Maybe I am just in a bad moon ...

Anyway, many thanks Peter for your answer

Eric
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation