The ITRC forums will continue to exist until mid-2011? (1361 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Art Mehlman
Message 1 of 28 (1,361 Views)

The ITRC forums will continue to exist until mid-2011?

I hope this is wrong.

The ITRC forums will continue to exist until mid-2011 at which time they will migrate into the new HP Software Solutions Community. We strongly encourage you to initiate new discussions via the HP Software Solutions Community now given the advance functionality that the Community encompasses.
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 2 of 28 (1,360 Views)

Re: The ITRC forums will continue to exist until mid-2011?

Hi Art:

> The ITRC forums will continue to exist until mid-2011?
Question I hope this is wrong

Hoping doesn't make it so:

http://h10078.www1.hp.com/bto/download/CommunityExternalFAQ.pdf

What was the former "Business Forums" has morphed into:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Support-Forums/ct-p/business-support

the "Learn More" sidebar on the right-hand side of this page offers more insights.

Regards!

...JRF...
Regards!

...JRF...
Frequent Advisor
Art Mehlman
Message 3 of 28 (1,360 Views)

You're right, but the old way is two clicks away.

I'm looking at Openview pages not HP products.

Communities
http://h30501.www3.hp.com/

HP Software Solutions Community online forum

Thanks
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 4 of 28 (1,361 Views)

(Adding a reply from another similar thread)

Hi everyone - I realize I'm catching this thread a bit late, but I wanted to add some clarity as to what's going on here.

We are certainly NOT getting rid of our Enterprise Support community. We are very aware of the value that these forums provide to our customers, and how strong of a community you all have formed here over the years.

What IS happening is that we are finally updating the forums platform itself. When these forums were launched many years ago, they offered a lot of great features and capabilities for their time. However, over the years we haven't necessarily been able to "keep up with the times" with regards to adding additional functionality.

Fast forward a bit, and now HP is partnering with Lithium, a company that specializes in social media platforms and technologies. HP already has several of it's communities hosted via Lithium solutions, including the aforementioned HP Software Solutions Community. During 2011, we will be migrating the ITRC Enterprise Support community onto a Lithium platform as well. ALL of the historical discussions and content will be transferred over, so we won't lose any of the great legacy content/solutions/information - but with the new and updated platform, we'll be able to provide you with enhanced community features this current legacy solution has been lacking. Things like RSS feeds (in addition to email-based subscriptions), private messaging, better posting capabilities (formatting, links to images/videos, spell check, etc.) are just a few of the upgrades that be a part of that transition.

Even more exciting is the fact that as we move forward, post transition, we'll be able to QUICKLY add additional features and respond to what the community would like to have available - something we haven't been able to do during the past 5-6 years.

We're also already working on additional plans for 2011 to further enhance the layout/UI of our Lithium community sites - so what you might see today in the Business Support Forums or the HP Software Support community isn't necessarily the way things will look when this community is migrated later this year. We're working closely with Lithium to ensure our community platforms are not only rich in features, but easy to use and even more importantly - all about you, our users.

Hope that helps - please let me know if you have any additional questions!
I work for HP.
Esteemed Contributor
Ismail Azad
Message 5 of 28 (1,361 Views)

Hi kevin,

I like the sound of the new features, kevin but just one question, what about the status and caps of current forumers on ITRC? Is it going to be fresh or is the status also going to be migrated which i think is not which is probably the most sad part of migration. Please provide your inputs.

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 6 of 28 (1,361 Views)

Ismail - thanks for your post and question.

We will be moving away from the current ranking system (and the associated "hats") - we do realize that many of our users have worked hard to reach specific hats, and there is a lot of investment in the current system. I'm happy to say that we will still have a recognition capability in the new forums - and that it's MUCH more robust than simply being based on how many "points" you've been awarded by other users. It will take into account many other factors as well to give us a great representation of each user's contributions and activity within the community.

Just as we'll be migrating all of the current ITRC forums content, users will be migrated over as well - so while the recognition system is changing, we won't be "resetting" everyone within that system. So if a user is one of our "top contributors" prior to the migration, their profile in the new environment will continue to have representation of that fact post-migration.

Stay tuned for additional details and specifics as we continue to map out the transition!
I work for HP.
Honored Contributor
Wodisch
Message 7 of 28 (1,361 Views)

Hi Kevin,

this is a probably singular problem (but it's mine) ;-)
- I do have an account on the (former?) US server

Honored Contributor
Wodisch_1
Message 8 of 28 (1,361 Views)

- and I do have one on the (former) european server
- and one one the new forums

If I am the only one with multiple concurrent, equally-named accounts then nothing bad might happen (there was - and maybe is - a third server for the japanase/asian people, but I never tried to get an account there), but if many users have multiple accounts your automatic transfer routine might run into problems by assuming unique names.

Just my $0.02,
Wodisch

PS: oh, it seems my good old wizard hat, carefully kept on this account over so many years, has vanished. Too bad :-(
Honored Contributor
Wodisch_1
Message 9 of 28 (1,361 Views)

ok, it's still there, it just was not shown within the "preview" dialog...

:-)
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 10 of 28 (1,361 Views)

Wodisch - which other system are you thinking of where you may have another account? Can you provide a specific URL for that community?
I work for HP.
Honored Contributor
Wodisch_1
Message 11 of 28 (1,360 Views)

Hello Kevin,

well, I am a member of the "new" (Lithium-based) HP Software forums at
http://www.hp.com/go/swcommunity (which is redirected to http://h30501.www3.hp.com/ ).
And my nickname over there is "Wodisch", just like on the two servers of the ITRC forums here.
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 12 of 28 (1,359 Views)

OK, thanks Wodisch - as you've probably noticed, you use an HP Passport account to authenticate/participate on that Lithium Software Solutions community. And that's exactly the same mechanism that the ITRC forums will be taking advantage of when we transition later this year.

The only caveat is that the Software Solutions community is a separate "instance" vs. the one that the ITRC content will be moved into - so while one HP Passport account will allow you to participate in either, you'll have unique profiles (for now - this is actually something we're investigating and will hopefully address soon).

Thanks!
I work for HP.
Regular Advisor
BrianT_1
Message 13 of 28 (1,359 Views)

I find that the credentials I use for these forums do not work for the new ones but that when I try to register with my existing credentials, I'm told they already exist.
Occasional Advisor
Greg W. Webster
Message 14 of 28 (1,359 Views)

In this process, I assume that the content will all be re-indexed? It appears that no posts in 2011 are available in search results.

Thanks!
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 15 of 28 (1,359 Views)

Brian - the ITRC forums currently use an IT Resource Center-specific profile to post in the community - which is totally separate (and not connected with) the HP Passport (HPP) system, which is what the forums will use after we complete the transition.

If you've tried to register for a new HPP account, but are receiving a message that you already have an account, your best bet would to be start @ https://passport2.hp.com/hppcf/forgotpwd.do - and enter your email address. That will start a process where you can reset the password associated with that account.

You may also need to use the form @ https://passport2.hp.com/hppcf/forgotuserid.do if you're not sure what your HPP user ID is...

Let me know if that still doesn't help...
I work for HP.
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 16 of 28 (1,359 Views)

Greg - can you give me a bit more detail on the search issue you're experiencing? Is that a search from the top level of hp.com, or just within the ITRC (or the ITRC forums themselves)?

If you can drop the url, the search term, and any other detail into a reply I'd be happy to look into what you're seeing.
I work for HP.
Occasional Advisor
Greg W. Webster
Message 17 of 28 (1,359 Views)

At the top of this page, with the "IT Resource Center (Forums)" radio button selected, if I put in something that I am sure is in the forums (for example, my first and last name, or something from one of the posts I've made), only items from 2010 and earlier appear in the search results.
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 18 of 28 (1,359 Views)

Greg - thanks for the additional detail. I'll talk to my search team and see what I can find out.
I work for HP.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 19 of 28 (1,359 Views)

>Greg: with the "IT Resource Center (Forums)"

You could use mr google instead:
search terms ... site:itrc.hp.com
Occasional Advisor
Greg W. Webster
Message 20 of 28 (1,359 Views)

>You could use mr google instead:
>search terms ... site:itrc.hp.com

Of course, I could, but why wouldn't I use the search built right into the forum? If the Google search is better/more up to date, then perhaps the search box at that top of this should just use Google's index.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 21 of 28 (1,358 Views)

>Greg: perhaps the search box at that top of this should just use Google's index.

Since this forum is a short timer, I wouldn't expect any changes like that.
But I use the advanced search then google as a backup.
Honored Contributor
Patrick Wallek
Message 22 of 28 (1,358 Views)

>>Of course, I could, but why wouldn't I use the search built right into the forum?

Because, as you've seen, it sucks! The search (dis)functionality has been a problem for a number of years and HP has done nothing to improve it.
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 23 of 28 (1,358 Views)

No updates yet on the search issue - but I'll keep chasing it and try to provide everyone a more meaningful response soon!
I work for HP.
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 24 of 28 (1,358 Views)

Still working with IT (maybe "waiting on IT" is more accurate) for some additional detail on the search issue - hasn't been forgotten!
I work for HP.
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 25 of 28 (1,358 Views)

Going to sound a bit like a broken record here, but I am (unfortunately) still waiting for IT to complete their investigation on the search situation.

Don't shoot the messenger ;)
I work for HP.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.