Re: Potentially valuable replies/work deleted without a trace. (742 Views)
Honored Contributor
Hein van den Heuvel
Message 1 of 4 (742 Views)
Accepted Solution

Potentially valuable replies/work deleted without a trace.

[ Edited ]

Earlier today myself and other made an effort to help a participant with a reply, and that work disappeared without a trace. No mention in topic requiring moderator intervention or such.

I _think_ that what happened is that a contributor accidently or not added his question to an old topic (Showing research! Thank you!) and that some over-zealous empowered person removed that reply and the follow up, requesting a fresh topic to be opened.

Yeah, it would have been cleaner if a fresh topic had been opened preferably with reference to the old topic to show homework and avoid further waste. But that did not happen. So what?!

Now this is just speculation. I may have been dreaming.
My precious bits may just have accidentally dropped into a bitbucket, not intentionally.

But if it was intentional, then please explain how did that action helped anyone or anything... after the fact.

The only problem I see is that the thread hijacker, can not show his appreciation for relies through points. So F*(^*@g what?
Does that give you the right to throw away my 'work'?
I did not ask for points, I just tried to help.

Old topic : 36315
New topic : 1474048

My reply to new topic repeated below.
Cheers
Hein

Steven replied...>>> Discarding your previous thread on this topic
may not be the best way to accumulate useful
information.

Yeah, that was my knee-jerk reaction as well.

So i looked back for the topic and found:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/Creating-Fixed-size-file-on-unix/m-p/2794533#M806...

This is from 'way-back' and I think that's the topic Steven referred to ann myself and others replied to.

So I think what happened is that 'kamlesh33' at first continued an old conversation. This was noticed by the 'powers that be' and a new topic was forced.

I for one, and others, had not noticed the old topic and we made an effort to help.

Our replies and work appear to be deleted without a warning or bounce-back.
Why not just leave well enough alone, or LOCK the old topic.

I find it extremely disrespectful for my work to be thrown away without cause or recourse.

I don't need that treatment.

I'm pissed! (not at kamlesh33)

Hein.

:-(.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Patrick Wallek
Message 2 of 4 (742 Views)

Re: Potentially valuable replies/work deleted without a trace.

I find it interesting, and rather disappointing, that no one from HP has responded to this thread.

Sad........
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
Pete Randall
Message 3 of 4 (742 Views)

I find it typical.

Pete

Pete
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Johan Guldmyr
Message 4 of 4 (742 Views)

Should all zombie/gravedug (.. what's the term?=) be ignored because the new replies will be deleted?

Click the Kudos Star if this was a good post.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation