Re: Important information about the upcoming HP Passport authentication system transition (2167 Views)
Trusted Contributor
abrsvc
Message 51 of 108 (2,164 Views)

Re: Important information about the upcoming HP Passport authentication system transition

Here's all the detail I can think of at the moment:

1) As far as I know, I do not have a Passport account at this time.

2) following the "new account" string of instructions, I enter my Email address and the result is a failure indicating that there is an account associated with that Email address.

3) OK lets try the other thread...

4) Any attempts to use what are valid passwords, fail with "unknown account" or some such.

5) The end result is that I have no account and can not create one.

6) The account/password combination I have continues to work correctly for access to ITRC.

I'm not sure what else I can provide in a somewhat public forum.

Dan
HP Pro
Ian Miller.
Message 52 of 108 (2,164 Views)

Re: Important information about the upcoming HP Passport authentication system transition

At present the new forums appear to be categorised by hardware - is this going to change or will questions for OpenVMS appear in
Servers > Alpha Servers
and
Servers > Itanium Based
Message 53 of 108 (2,164 Views)

Dan - if HPP is saying there's already an account with that email address, here are two links that should help you move forward:

https://passport2.hp.com/hppcf/forgotuserid.do
https://passport2.hp.com/hppcf/forgotpwd.do

The first will provide you the user ID on file - it won't be the same as your ITRC user ID.

If you still can't successfully log in once you've recovered your HPP user ID, the second link will allow you to reset your HPP password.

Let me know how that works...
I work for HP.
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 54 of 108 (2,164 Views)

Ian - we're still finalizing the "new" layout of the categories and boards for the community moving forward. The current plan calls for a top-level "Operating System" category where we'll have, among other things, an Open VMS category with all of the existing ITRC Open VMS boards located below it.

So a slightly different way to drill down to the category, but once you're there the same boards that exist today (system management, general, networking, etc.) will be right there.
I work for HP.
Honored Contributor
Michael Leu
Message 55 of 108 (2,164 Views)

Kevin, would it be possible to ask the HPP or Lithium team to implement something like the 'Remember my User ID and Password' feature?

http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/help/loginRememberHelp.do

IMHO it's quite a hassle to have to log in after every ~30min of inactivity on the new forums. Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Navigation: Forum Site Map // ye olde ITRC Tree
@HP: please get rid of the Passport login timeout
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 56 of 108 (2,164 Views)

Michael - I checked with my HPP partners, and due to security concerns, they don't have any plans to offer/implement a "remember my password" feature for HPP.

However - I went ahead and increased the setting within the new community for "auto logout due to inactivity" from 30 minutes to one hour - I agree that 30 minutes was too short, and 1 hour is the maximum allowable due to security standards.

I hope that helps - thanks for the suggestion!
I work for HP.
Honored Contributor
Michael Leu
Message 57 of 108 (2,164 Views)

Thanks Kevin for your great support. That the HPP team wouldn't nudge I kinda expected... good thing there are some setting you can control :-)

BTW, if you are feeling brave today:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1478326
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Navigation: Forum Site Map // ye olde ITRC Tree
@HP: please get rid of the Passport login timeout
Frequent Advisor
Ulf Zimmermann
Message 58 of 108 (2,164 Views)

The email I received said all of ITRC will be retired, not just the forum part.

So the question, which was earlier asked here, how will SAID and care pack associations be handled?
Honored Contributor
Vadim Gorda
Message 59 of 108 (2,164 Views)

Hello Kevin,
Regarding Inactivity timer recheck it with Heather as I have raised that topic on new community like 1 year or less ago. This was really annoying as it was loging out approximatelly after 15-20 minutes of inactivity which was really making crazy.
Super Advisor
AlexeyGlukhov
Message 60 of 108 (2,164 Views)

Hello colleagues,
my question is about usability of e-mails from Lithium forum:
when I get e-mail from itrc.forums I can see title of new topics and url:
---------------
New HP Forum Discussions for Wed Apr 27 22:27:58 GMT 2011

MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE AND SYSTEM TOOLS: BUSINESS AVAILABILITY CENTER
Subject: UCMDB to BSM Integration: Fialed due to timeout on operation from probe
URL: http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1478478

Subject: DDM and VMware Site Recovery Manager
URL: http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1478430
---------------

so I can copy from my mail client this urls and open pages in my browser.

But now I get e-mails from lithium like:
---------------
Subscription to Board: Business Availability Center Support Forum (6 Updates)
Update 1 - Message:
There was a new Message.
Subject: EUM fails to load in BSM 9
Author: machoq (Member 3)
Date: 04-27-2011 01:27 AM
---------------

and url is inside "Subject" - and I can't get the url from this e-mail and I have to open needed pages in my mail-client (lotus notes) - unfortunately it isn't convenient.

Is there possibility to include explicit urls in these e-mails from lithium ?

Best regards,
Alexey.
Best regards,
Alexey
Regular Advisor
Pradep
Message 61 of 108 (2,167 Views)

Thanks.
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 62 of 108 (2,167 Views)

Ulf - I've asked the transition team to add a statement about SAIDs and Care Packs associations to the migration FAQ. Not sure when the next revision will be published, but we'll get that included.

Vadim - I talked to Heather about the inactivity timer on the Software Solutions community site, and she has adjusted it to the same hour timeout we now have on the Enterprise Business site.

Alexey - You've got a couple of different options here. The easiest way to get the actual URL to be included in the email notification is to select "Plain text" for your Email format option (in the Subscriptions portion of your profile, located @ http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions ). That way, the url won't be included as a hyperlink as the "Subject". While there, you can also change the Email content setting from "Subject only" to "Subject and body", if you'd like to have the message itself included in your email notification. Lastly, you could also experiment with the RSS options that the new community site offers in addition to email for notification purposes, if that might meet your needs better than an email-based notification (navigate to a board, topic, or post - and select "Subscribe to RSS Feed" from the pull-down Option list).
I work for HP.
Esteemed Contributor
Colin Butcher
Message 63 of 108 (2,167 Views)

There's a lot of useful information in the ITRC forums. There are frequent cross-thread references and (more importantly) references to ITRC threads from other locatiosn (web pages, e-mails, documents, etc.).

How will URLs referring to specific discussion threads be migrated so that there is no need to change all existing references that point to useful discussion threads?
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem (Occam's razor).
Honored Contributor
André Beck
Message 64 of 108 (2,167 Views)

Hi Kevin,

when mentioning "alpha/numeric characters", it would be helpful to add which charset the alphas may be drawn from. In 2011 I would expect that only can be Unicode, but somehow fear it might actually be less than that. Maybe even just ASCII. So am I Ok leaving in that accent aigu, or should I bow to the 7bit era tech from a past millennium?

Regarding the current content of ITRC forums, as already mentioned by others, even if you manage to fix up all internal references, there will still be a giant amount of external ones. Do you consider freezing the old ITRC forum content into some read only archive still reachable under the known URLs, or will it just be gone one day in the future?

Thanks,
Andre (tried an accent here, made a UTF-8 mess).
Advisor
BTilford
Message 65 of 108 (2,167 Views)

Kevin

How are we going to successfully utilize the Community forums if we have to login via passport and passport is always down? For instance, the passport is down today. I can't look up manuals, download patches, or update my tickets. The only site I can go to for self assistance is itrc.com. Will you have back up sites for the Community and passport?
Super Advisor
AlexeyGlukhov
Message 66 of 108 (2,167 Views)

Hello Kevin,
thanks for your quick response !

But I have a problem with lithium:

"The easiest way to get the actual URL to be included in the email notification is to select "Plain text" for your Email format option. That way, the url won't be included as a hyperlink as the "Subject"."

I did it - but it doesn't work (see screenshot in attach) - is it normal behaviour of lithium or it is error ?

Best regards,
Alexey.
Best regards,
Alexey
Super Advisor
AlexeyGlukhov
Message 67 of 108 (2,167 Views)

Hi - luckily now it works - I can see URLs !
Thanks a lot for help.

Best regards,
Alexey.
Best regards,
Alexey
Honored Contributor
Rob Buxton
Message 68 of 108 (2,167 Views)

I must say the new format doesn't appeal at this point.
It seems to much of a lurch to social media for my taste. The reason I like the ITRC is that it's intent is clear. It's not cluttered with blogs and podcasts and other detritus which I'm not interested in.
Having to re-sign in all the time just to use a forum will reduce my use of it. I just leave the ITRC page open and dip into it when I have time.
Honored Contributor
Uwe Zessin
Message 69 of 108 (2,167 Views)

Fully agree with Rob.
That is more a marketing show than an *efficient* vehicle for information exchange.

And other defects (e.g. can't "click-through" from the link in Thunderbird mail-reader into Firefox my-default browser, lots of little scripting gimmicks within the web pages) have made be stop using the BSC-convert-into-Lithium some time ago.

Oh well, that's life...
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 70 of 108 (2,167 Views)

Colin - we're working on a solution that will update as many of the most recent posts that contain links to other posts so they work correctly. We realize these links are important to the community, so we're certainly looking at multiple options here.

André - I was hoping to have a detailed answer for you by now, but I'm still looking into this. Stay tuned and I'll get you that information as soon as I can. Regarding 'external' links - I assume you mean links from other sites that point to the ITRC forums? We will have redirects in place that will direct customers into the new community, but we can't put redirects in place for every individual post (there are over 3 million) - so sites that direct users into the forums will need to update those links at some point.

BTilford - I realize there was an HP Passport outage last week, but I haven't heard of any widespread/long-term outages - can you provide details on when you haven't been able to utilize HPP?

Alexey - thanks for letting me know - glad that worked.
I work for HP.
Honored Contributor
Jeroen Peereboom
Message 71 of 108 (2,166 Views)

L.S.

it would be nice to have the URL to the new site as part of the 'important information' on top of the screen.

JP
Respected Contributor
rpagadala09
Message 72 of 108 (2,166 Views)

Hi Kevin,

I followed the above steps.I changed address.I kept the username and password as is of current ITRC forums account.

My question is.

Can I able to log in with the same username & password and do posting for upcoming forums?

How do I know the new forums URL?

Please advise me
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 73 of 108 (2,166 Views)

Andre - the only characters allowed, in addition to alpha/numeric, are hyphens and underscores. However, obviously some non-English languages require a need for additional characters such as umlauts - so I'm continuing to look into what the options are there.

Jeroen - the URL for the community site is http://h30499.www3.hp.com/

rpagadala09 - to log into the new community site, you will use the HP Passport login and password you created during the registration process. You can test this by going to the URL I provided above, and clicking on the "Sign In" link near the top-right corner of the page.
I work for HP.
Honored Contributor
Jeroen Peereboom
Message 74 of 108 (2,166 Views)

Kevin,

I already bookmarked the site. I was just suggesting to add the url to the important information that is shown on the itrc forums site.

JP.
Respected Contributor
rpagadala09
Message 75 of 108 (2,166 Views)

Hi Kevin,

I tested it,I could able to login into the new site with the existing username & password.

Thanks a lot!

One more question.

Are you guys going to move theards posted on the ITRC forums to the new site?

Thanks,
Raj
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.