Forums Improvement Thread (1199 Views)
Acclaimed Contributor
Message 51 of 79 (452 Views)

Re: Forums Improvement Thread

>Shivaram: Some places it display top 10, in some top 5 only.

I thought there may be a threshold. I had to get about 90 to be number 5 on one. On another forum I was #1, with a trivial number of points until the forum was removed.

>I was wondering if I can appear in top 10 in Quality Center

With 786 you should be there, unless there are 5 hidden others with more.
Honored Contributor
Message 52 of 79 (452 Views)

Thanks Dennis.! for the reply.

Attachment: Max Size=1MB....
You might want to increase this and then limit it to upload only .zip/.rar files??

Do you have any plans to upload our own photos; Instead of cartoons :)

Thanks again..! Great weekend ahead.!

~~Shivaram
Honored Contributor
Message 53 of 79 (452 Views)

Has there ever been any thought to making the top 5 / top 10 lists be "active" members only? Active could mean having posted / replied to a question within the last 6 months or so.

I know of several in the Forums top 25 that have not been active for a while.

Honored Contributor
Message 54 of 79 (452 Views)

Patrick, I like your thoughts. But I visualize it as a dual list instead of the top 25 they now haveâ ¦..like maybe
The top of all time (cause I just would miss seeing Clayâ s name up there..)
The top current users (be that for last months).
I think that keep motivation going to participate. Letâ s face it⠦⠦⠦..it takes forever to get on this list, alas I only made for a short time, so newer folks might be more inspired to continue to see their â ..name in lightsâ .
==============================
Shows you how much I donâ t look at the top page⠦⠦⠦⠦they do have a â Top new 10 listâ . Course Iâ m not 100% what the criteria isâ ¦.that first guy has been around for 3 months. So maybe Iâ d say Iâ d change the second line below to Top users for last 12 months or maybe for current year and keep a running tab.
That could make it a contest of sorts = Who was the top contributor for xxxx year

Rgrds,
Rita

Acclaimed Contributor
Message 55 of 79 (452 Views)

Hi:

With reference to Patrick's suggestion:

I like it assuming the inclusion event is a new post by the user; not the addition of points due to their application from an old thread.

Similar to Rita's thoughts, I envision three (3) top boxes: (1) the "all-time top-10" [what we currently have]; (2) the "currently-active top-10" [where "current" is posting within the last 6-months]; and (3) the "new active members" [as we currently have at the bottom].

If an "all-time" poster took a sabbatical they might drop off the "currently-active"
list only to reappear if (s)?he returned to active participation. I realize that
there is a possibility for the "all-time" and the "currently-active" lists to hold
the same names, but I doubt that that will occur often.

Regards!

...JRF...
Honored Contributor
Message 56 of 79 (452 Views)

zeroseven0183: looks like they are relaunching the business support forums with a new design

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/

It even has points! But no hats (yet ;-)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Navigation: Forum Site Map // ye olde ITRC Tree
@HP: please get rid of the Passport login timeout
Honored Contributor
Message 57 of 79 (452 Views)

^^ Thanks for the info.

Let me spend some time there :)

~~Shivaram
Frequent Advisor
Message 58 of 79 (452 Views)

@Michael Leu: Thank you very much! Looks more interesting than this current forums.

But do I have to register a new username?
The real danger is not that computers will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like computers. (Sydney J. Harris)
Frequent Advisor
Message 59 of 79 (452 Views)

I guess I have to create a new account. It's better and I like the interface.
The real danger is not that computers will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like computers. (Sydney J. Harris)
Honored Contributor
Message 60 of 79 (452 Views)

BTW, the URL above should be http://www.hp.com/support/consumer-forum

Back on topic: when will 'javascript:openExternal' be abolished? ;-)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Honored Contributor
Message 61 of 79 (455 Views)

I would suggest followings:

1. HP Passport Sign-in for ITRC and thus for ITRC Forums. The same user ID should be used on Business Support Forums which currently allows HP Passport Sign-in.

2. The ITRC and Forums web page needs to be organized with increase in the page width.

3. It would be good to have Forums home page with personalization feature.

4. Some of the "useful links" on a forum area are dead which needs a fix and add new relevant links.

5. In an individual's forum profile, the "My Solutions/Replies/Responses" needs bunching together either based on the category or family only for the individual's responses.

6. Time to add new "Avatars" in the forum profile or allow community to upload their own which maybe their own pic.

7. For HPCP community, allow to upload the HPCP logo by their name or somewhere after appropriate verification from certification portal.

8. For people who don't assign points, I have an idea. Create an activity bar in colors based on the responses and points ( ratio ) for all questions and show it in the "author" column at the bottom when a new thread is opened. That way other would know the activity bar and status and would help to choose to respond or not based on it. The colored activity bar will also remind the thread owner to act. Mouse pointer will show the actual numbers which you see in thread owner's profile. Thresholds can be setup to change the activity bar color. Depending on the threshold set, if the color is red, a reminder email can be send to the owner.

9. ITRC forums support email address where people can report their issues, changes etc. This will be helpful to moderators as well I think.

I see this thread is now over a year old with few suggestions provided. But I don't see anyone making note of them ( after Gary's first response ) or saying implemented and informed it in the thread.
I just hope the suggestions are validated and efforts are being made to implement to help the HP community.
Honored Contributor
Message 62 of 79 (455 Views)

>>looks like they are relaunching the business
>>support forums with a new design

>>http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/

>>It even has points! But no hats (yet ;-)

Is it me or is it HP ? This new and improved forum is too much Windows-centric. When you go into Operating systems, there is no HPUX or any other OS for that matter. I feel like, anything other than Windooze is not worth the effort and is destined to be imprisoned in the archaic technologies.

Good riddance HP. Keep up Carly's vision...
Message 63 of 79 (455 Views)

Mel, don't get too worked up. That forum I linked is for those that buy laptops, printers and so on for use at home. AFAIK there were always two separate forums, one for customers and the other for "it professionals". Have a nice week :)
Honored Contributor
Message 64 of 79 (455 Views)

Time to bump this thread again...

Some ideas:
- Post editing
- Fixed width font for code/command sections
- Get rid of openExternal() in URLs
- Don't show moved threads when selecting "View: questions with no replies"
- Use full width of screen
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor
Message 65 of 79 (455 Views)

Increasing the attachment size from 1MB to atlease 2MB would be good since most of the pdfs are larger than 1MB.
Acclaimed Contributor
Message 66 of 79 (455 Views)

>P.D: since most of the PDFs are larger than 1MB.

Ideally you should be using a URL to the PDF and not attach them.
Advisor
Message 67 of 79 (455 Views)

+1 for removing openExternal() javascript in links. This is *really* annoying: a) it means I can't middle-click to open the link in a new window; b) if there are two links in a thread, and I click both, the second opens in the same window as the first one, and replaces it.
Honored Contributor
Message 68 of 79 (455 Views)

> 1. HP Passport Sign-in for ITRC and thus for ITRC Forums.
> The same user ID should be used on Business Support Forums
> which currently allows HP Passport Sign-in.

Who knows what problems that would introduce?!

Have you tried to post to one of the Business Support Forums or registered for notifications during the last months?

There is a long-time bug that drops you on some random page (HP.com or the BSC home) after the passport login.
It's been discussed on the ITRC + the BSC forums, e.g.:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1250063
starting on 13 april 2009

It looks like IT is still investigating or has silently given up, sigh...

Instead of fixing problems in their infrastructure (after all... it is not only the ITRC/BSC forums that have performance / reliability problems) they waste valueable time with changing the HP logo.
Honored Contributor
Message 69 of 79 (455 Views)

> 1. HP Passport Sign-in for ITRC and thus for ITRC Forums.
> The same user ID should be used on Business Support Forums
> which currently allows HP Passport Sign-in.

Who knows what problems that would introduce?!

Have you tried to post to one of the Business Support Forums or registered for notifications during the last months?

There is a long-time bug that drops you on some random page (HP.com or the BSC home) after the passport login.
It's been discussed on the ITRC + the BSC forums, e.g.:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1250063
starting on 13 april 2009

It looks like IT is still investigating or has silently given up, sigh...

Instead of fixing problems in their infrastructure (after all... it is not only the ITRC/BSC forums that have performance / reliability problems) they waste valueable time with changing the HP logo.

[great demo, by the way - got the usual 'error posting reply' error]
Honored Contributor
Message 70 of 79 (455 Views)

Great to have you here Uwe Zessin :-)

To me it looks like HP IT has given up on the ITRC forums. So many suggestions in ths thread and no response.

Instead they are relaunching the 'exclusive club' that is BladeConnect. IMHO it would be better if those efforts could benefit all enterprise customers with improvements here at the ITRC...
Community Manager
Message 71 of 79 (456 Views)

Uwe & Michael - I understand and appreciate the frustrations you have raised. There are certainly some areas where the forums could use some improvements/enhancements, including the issue mentioned above with regards to HP Passport logins and the BSC forums. We have some exciting plans for both the BSC and ITRC forums this year, and our forum communities will begin to see some of those changes in the near future.

I would encourage all readers of this discussion to continue to post suggestions for improvements to the forums, not only in regards to our current community functionality, but additional features or services you would like to see as well.

Thanks for everyone's patience and continued participation in our support communities!
I work for HP.
Honored Contributor
Message 72 of 79 (456 Views)

Thanks for your reply Kevin. My post above has come out too harsh against the BladeConnect Community, it was made under my wrong impressions about the direction HP is taking. Sorry.

But I can't edit it anymore, which brings us back to the topic of this thread ;-)
Community Manager
Message 73 of 79 (456 Views)

I agree on not being able to edit your own posts being a limiter - that's one of the *many* things on our list that needs to be addressed, believe me!

I wish I could say more than "stay tuned", but my hope is that we'll be able to make additional announcements soon!
I work for HP.
Honored Contributor
Message 74 of 79 (456 Views)

I'm waiting on the new announcement and I hope it will come out soon.... :)

Thanks for the effort.
Community Manager
Message 75 of 79 (456 Views)

Sameer - the announcement is (finally!) very close to being made - I expect we can start talking about additional details before the end of April.

One expectation I'll try to set early on is this - we have multiple collaborative areas within hp.com, and the ITRC and BSC support forums only represent a portion of the larger hp.com community. As much as we'd like to be able to provide updated and enhanced capabilities for all of our users all at the same time, the reality is that things have to be done in stages and planned quite a bit in advance - especially considering the size of our current communities. The current schedule is for the BSC forums to receive some of the updates prior to the ITRC forums - but that's primarily due to some additional enhancements coming to the entire ITRC support portal, which will enable us to also deploy changes to the ITRC forums at the same time while minimizing down time and availability disruptions.

We're excited to be able to share additional details soon!
I work for HP.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.