Re: Communicating with one's peers (536 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Terry.giblin
Message 1 of 7 (536 Views)

Communicating with one's peers

What's the best way, you find, to communicate and connect with one's own peers?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Terry Giblin.
Honored Contributor
Bill Hassell
Message 2 of 7 (536 Views)

Re: Communicating with one's peers

Since this is the HP-UX forums, I will assume that peers means other HP-UX system administrators.

The first is to join LinkedIn and FaceBook to connect with the HP-UX groups on those social networks. I haven't found Twitter to be of much use. A long history of HP-UX sysadmin comments can be found at:

http://www.dutchworks.nl/htbin/hpsysadmin

I would also join Connect, the HP User group. There are many ways to follow and participate in HP-UX topics and seminars at Connect: http://www.connect-community.org/

There are blogs and RSS feeds at a number of different locations such as http://blog.sourcedirect.com/

Frequent Advisor
Terry.giblin
Message 3 of 7 (536 Views)

Dear Bill,

Please accept my apology for not replying sooner.

This is the first time I have used this forum, in a very long time.

I'm am just happy, no one can see the questions, I have asked in the past.

Which is probably why, I am a little to old for facebook.

I have recently joined LinkedIn.

How do you send a friend invite, if I don't have their email address and you have never met?

And as for peer's, that's simple, any professional person who takes great pride and honour in his/her own work.

Office Cleaning or Managing Director, what's the difference?

Terry Giblin
Honored Contributor
Bill Hassell
Message 4 of 7 (536 Views)

> I am a little to old for facebook.

Facebook has a lot of common interest groups. Age is not a factor at all...many people post pictures of their pets or cartoon characters.

LinkedIn is the business and professional site. You can search for people by name, then send them a LinkedIn invite. LinkedIN has their own notification system. And once you start connecting friends, LinkedIn will provide suggestions based on their friends.
Frequent Advisor
Terry.giblin
Message 5 of 7 (536 Views)

Which version do you have?

My version discourages and tries to prevent unwelcome invites, from complete strangers, I am pleased to say.

Unfortunately, it also therefore restricts welcome invites, from distance connected friends.

Take a name at random (true story), Enzo Genuardi, how do I connect with him?

"I don't know Enzo"

And the current minimum requirement, is a personal email address.

Terry Giblin

Honored Contributor
Bill Hassell
Message 6 of 7 (536 Views)

> My version discourages ...

LinkedIn is web based so there are no versions. I assume that you are using the website:

http://www.linkedin.com/

To find if a name is on LinkedIn, use the People search at the top right. When you find the right person, click on the Add to network link to the right of their name. They will then reply back to you (through LinkedIn email) to accept, or they may just ignore you...such is social networking. No different than real life.

"I don't know ..." is a response to an invitation from someone to you. If you click "I don't know ..." then the invitation disappears.

> a personal email address.

You don't have multiple email addresses? With Yahoo and Hotmail offering free email addresses, everyone should more than one. You give your extra email address out to strangers or to locations that offer free information as long as you register. Same with LinkedIn. Your email address is not shared to LinkedIn friends. Instead, LinkedIn forwards emails -- you decide what to do with them.
Frequent Advisor
Terry.giblin
Message 7 of 7 (536 Views)

I have found a solution.

Simple ask them, if they would like to be your friend?

You never know, until you ask the question.

Terry Giblin.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.