z820 1.07 bios removed from the support site (717 Views)
Advisor
lms-eng
Message 1 of 6 (717 Views)

z820 1.07 bios removed from the support site

[ Edited ]

Was just checking the HP support site for latest updates on the z820 and I noticed the 1.07 has been removed from the "Download drivers and software" I've already updated a couple of machines to this version, as I've seen a few issues with the 1.02 release version. I take it there is a problem with the 1.07 and thats why it was removed, should I be downgrading the machine I've alread put 1.07 on?

Valued Contributor
Skylarking
Message 2 of 6 (710 Views)

Re: z820 1.07 bios removed from the support site

This sudden disappearance of a released BIOS has also happened to me with Z210 BIOS.

In that instance, no notification was made as to why the release was pulled. This left equipment owners like myself with some unanswered questions which support were unable to address. It's very poor form and not what one expects of an ISO certified organization (which I am assuming HP is).

Very disappointing to see it happen again!

HP Pro
JohnL
Message 3 of 6 (700 Views)

We found a bug with BIOS v1.07. The new bios v1.08 will be released soon. If you do not have any problem with v1.07, you can use it.

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own. Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.
Advisor
lms-eng
Message 4 of 6 (684 Views)

Thanks for the update, any information on the bug, what should I look out for?

Valued Contributor
Skylarking
Message 5 of 6 (677 Views)

[ Edited ]

Problems sometimes occur and updates can be released when they shouldn't have been. That's life. But why doesn't HP provide appropriate information on the "Downloads Drivers and Software" support page itself? That's what the Support and Drivers page is for - to officially support their customers!

Since it was HP that officially released the BIOS from the Support and Drivers page (for Z210 & Z820), there should be some statements to define what error exists with the pulled BIOS and recommendations whether their customers should downgrade or wait for a new BIOS release on that same page it was released from. Just removing the BIOS revision without any notes on the support page itself is less than professional and likely non compliant with the principles of their ISO certification!

And really, one shouldn't have to come to a forum to learn why an official HP BIOS revision was pulled and what to do about it. After all, HP employees opinions are their own and do not officially speak for HP.

I'd like some official statement as to why the Z210 BIOS SP56862 released on 9th April 2012 no longer exists. Support couldn't care less so whom within HP should I speak to to voice my anger at such behavior?

[edited to add that this is not any critisism of those HP employees that help us users on this forum, it's more a critisism of the fact that such issues should be handled officially by HP but are not]

HP Pro
JohnL
Message 6 of 6 (661 Views)

In my opinion, it's not easy to explain the reasons whenever the official HP BIOS was pulled. I think there is a tool limitation as well. I believe releasing a customer advisory or notice is the best way with current ways to explain it. If the user MUST downgrade it due to critical issues, HP will release an official statements. This time is not the case.

We pulled out it because removing of the BIOS version will prevent any potential problem even though this does not affect most of customers and this affects only specific configuration.

In the future, please call HP Support and they will answer whether or not you have to downgrade and maybe the reason as well
I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own. Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.