z200 - hp restore plus CD not working to install OS. (2911 Views)
Occasional Contributor
rondertaker
Message 1 of 11 (2,911 Views)

z200 - hp restore plus CD not working to install OS.

after added 3 additional 1tb drives and creating a raid 5 array, i am attempting to do a clean OS reinstall using the HP restore plus/OS dvds that were provided with the machine. however, the dvd labeled "1/3 hp restore plus! - start with this dvd for restore" does not work properly.  after selecting my language and clicking begin, then choosing w7 64 bit/english/united states, i hit next 3 times and then "yes" to the warning that it will destroy all data on my primary hard drive.  it then says "partitioning hard drive, please wait" and a bar goes from 0-100%.  at this point my machine reboots and the exact same process begins again.  if i take out the CD it will not boot from the hard drive, nor will it boot from the  the dvd labeled "2/3 operating system dvd" is not bootable.  (non-system disk or disk error)

Please use plain text.
Visitor
TDMSA
Message 2 of 11 (2,900 Views)

Re: z200 - hp restore plus CD not working to install OS.

We got the same problem.Harddisk are set in Raid 5 after format due the restore plus cd system reboots

any solution ?for this problem ?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
rondertaker
Message 3 of 11 (2,891 Views)

on further investigation it seems like this problem occured because i had created a >2tb volume and windows will not install/boot from a volume that size.  after restructing my raid array i was able to get the restore dvds to function properly.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
TDMSA
Message 4 of 11 (2,882 Views)

in what kind of settings did you reconstruct the raid ? .

i have 3x 1.5 TB harddisk  i change the value to 1,4TB / 1TB ./ 500 GB  in the raid config ( CTRL I )

but still got the same problem .

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
rondertaker
Message 5 of 11 (2,880 Views)

you must be having a different issue than i am.  i created a raid 1+0 array that is approx 1.8tb and was able to use the restore disks to install.

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Alex Geroulaitis
Message 6 of 11 (2,876 Views)

Is there any way to convince you guys to set up the OS/boot drive as a RAID1 or a single disk, and the data volume as a RAID5?  Makes things so much simpler and easier to service and maintain, not to mention zero OS installation or boot problems.  Z200 (desktop) can have up to 5 drives (plus optical): one or two (RAID1) for boot, 3-4 drives in RAID5 for data.

HP VAR, Systems Integrator
(if my post was helpful, please "mark as a solution" or give "kudos" - thanks)
Please use plain text.
Visitor
TDMSA
Message 7 of 11 (2,863 Views)

[ Edited ]

Problems solved for me  :  Windows must be installed whitout a array configuration.

when the installation is done install the Intel rapid raid ( under start > programs > Intel )

config it in raid5 with the intel rapid raid software and let it migrate...

do not reboot when migrating let it finish.

otherwise you get corrupt data .

( i used the restore plus CD`s )

Nevermind these steps .

after the migration and a reboot  raid 5 drive Fails ! .

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
JohnL
Message 8 of 11 (2,780 Views)

Let me try to replicate the problem tomorrow. If there is no update by tomorrow, please call HP Support and escalate it.

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own. Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.
Please use plain text.
HP Pro
JohnL
Message 9 of 11 (2,774 Views)

Re: z200 - HP restore plus CD not working to install OS.

The Restore CD should have worked with the disk size less than 2.2 TB.

In my test, the restore process is too slow.  After partitioning, the system behaves as the system stops at "Attempting booting from the CD". I left the system and came back after 30 minutes. The system went the next stage. I found the similar slow process at a few other spots. Finally I can install Win7 x64.

This may not a normal behavior. Please call HP Support so that HP can take an appropriate action to address this symptom.

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own. Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.
Please use plain text.
HP Pro
JohnL
Message 10 of 11 (2,772 Views)

I tested the latest Restore CD (Dec 2010 Refresh). This works fine without any problem. I recommend you call HP Support and leave the case # here. So I can ship the CDs just in case HP call center does not have them.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MrT69
Message 11 of 11 (2,365 Views)

Still have also the problem with creating the RAID5.

I have 3 x 2TB Hard disks. When I create an RAID 5 array within the BIOS you will get the info that everything is working. After reboot the Machine the RAID fails. When you went again back to the BIOS you will get an message that you have to recover the RAID but the array is still broken.

It doesn't matters if I wait or install an OS on the Box. I also have waited 26 hours after I have created the RAID 5 within the BIOS just to make sure that the RAID might need some time to be created.

This also fails. How the hell is it possible to create a RAID 5 array with this box??? Can someone explain this to me??

Best regards from germany!

Torsten

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation