xw8600 sata gen 3 boot from pci-e card? (139 Views)
Occasional Contributor
zBull
Message 1 of 2 (139 Views)
Accepted Solution

xw8600 sata gen 3 boot from pci-e card?

Hi

Quick question about sata gen 3 in an xw8600 workstation.

If I buy a sata gen 3 (6gbs) pci-e controller card, will I be able to boot from it? I want to put an ssd in and wondered if putting a gen 3 pci-e card with a gen 3 ssd would work or should I stick to a gen 2 ssd on the motherboards hdd controller?

Help appreciated!

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Scott D. Harrison
Message 2 of 2 (123 Views)

Re: xw8600 sata gen 3 boot from pci-e card?

To my knowledge that would not work.  The HP xw workstations have had a specific boot SATA port, port 0 and usually a different color than the other SATA ports (blue in my case).  I have tried to boot from the same drive that worked when plugged into the blue port when it was plugged into the port next to it, blue port empty, and it would not work.

That said, these workstations can boot from USB drives, PATA drive hooked to the motherboard's IDE port, floppy, and optical drive plugged into non-blue SATA ports so you'll just have to try.

I have gotten a couple of the 300GB Intel 320 series SATA generation II SSDs off eBay and have been very pleased with the performance, booting them off the SATA 0 (blue) port.  Those SSDs are a quantum leap in performance for these xw workstations.  For most of our needs the 160GB size is just fine.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation