Re: Z820 won't post with USB 3.0 drive connected (1356 Views)
Visitor
algilson
Message 1 of 8 (1,671 Views)
Accepted Solution

Z820 won't post with USB 3.0 drive connected

Just unboxed a new Z820 yesterday, and it's quite the machine. Everything is up and running and working well. Today I plugged in an external Seagate 2GB USB 3.0 drive, and then powered the machine on. The HP bios screen came up, but the Mini OROM window stayed black without showing any text and the machine hung there and would not go any further. I wondered if I had jiggled a cable somewhere in the back, so I powered off the Z820 and tried again. Same result.

With a little tinkering, and with the external Seagate drive disconnected, the machine powers on fine. Once the machine is running, it appears that I can plug the Seagate drive in and it will work on the USB 3.0 connection. If I turn the machine off again, it will once again not boot and simply hang at the original bios screen. Again, the Mini OROM does not show anything with the external Seagate plugged in to the USB 3.0 connection on the back of the machine.

I should note that the keyboard does not respond at this point as well. I can not go in to any config menus as the machine simply hangs here. I also have all USB boot disabled in the bios.

Now, the weird part. If I plug that external Seagate drive in to the USB 2.0 ports (only tried the back of the machine), the machine boots fine from cold. The Mini OROM window displays all bios post messages and the machine boots fine. The external HD also works fine, albeit slow. This is how I have it currently connected, just so I can keep working.

I'm running the newest bios. Is there a trick to this?

Thanks,

- Al

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
JohnL
Message 2 of 8 (1,660 Views)

Re: Z820 won't post with USB 3.0 drive connected

Please call HP Support and escalate it through the standard escalation path.

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own. Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.
Please use plain text.
HP Pro
Dan_in_WGBU
Message 3 of 8 (1,617 Views)

Does the external USB drive have an MBR (Master Boot Record)?  If it does, and does not have an operating system, it can cause the system to hang because the system is trying to boot from this USB device.  Convert the disk to a GPT (GUID Partition Table), and it might solve your problem. 

Out of curiosity, does the USB 3.0 disk behave the same way on the front USB 3.0 ports and the back ones? 

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
algilson
Message 4 of 8 (1,601 Views)

The disk was MBR and I have now converted it to GPT. Same problem. Still hangs at the Mini OROM display. I've now tested it using both the front and back USB 3.0 ports and the problem occurs both ways.

I've attached 3 screen shots. The first capture is of Disk Management. In that shot I had to add a 1TB drive (Disk 0 in this shot) that normally isn't there. I needed to back up my 2TB drive somewhere before I converted it to GPT, hence this drive was introduced.

Next two screen shots are what happens when I boot with the external drive connected with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0. USB 3.0 simply hangs at the Mini OROM window.

I should note that I do have an active HP support case open right now as well.

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
Skylarking
Message 5 of 8 (1,494 Views)

[ Edited ]

Since you have set USB Boot to "disabled" in BIOS, i would have expected MBR/GPT disks issues to be irrelevant so i'm not surprised that you still have the problem after changing to GPT.

One could check the "system block diagram" within the "maintenance and service guide" but in these days of abstracting detail, you will likely get a generic diagram that doesn't show how your motherboard is actually wired up. From what i can see for the Z820, the C602 chipset provides the x11 USB2 ports and the x4 USB3 ports are provided by another chipset (TI 7340) connected to the C602. This would lead me to suspect a BIOS issue (since things seem to work once the OS is up and running) :)

What would be interesting is to insert a USB2 external DVD drive into a USB3 port and see if the system will boot from the internal HDD's. I would repeat the experiment with a USB2 external HDD plugged into a USB3 port and again check if the system boots from the internal HDD.  As a further check, "enable" USB boot and attach a DVD drive to a USB3 port while booting from a Windows DVD in this external DVD drive.

One could then repeat the above test by connecting these USB2 devices to a USB2 port but as you have found out already, this seems to work.

If these USB3 tests fail, as i expect, HP has some work to do :)

Let us know how you get along.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
agilson
Message 6 of 8 (1,422 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the excellent response.

To update everyone on the status, I found an updated bios release after my original post, and the system was updated from 1.x to 2.0. Everything seemed fine after the BIOS update, but I had learned to run with the USB 3.0 external drive disconnected. Occasionally I would plug it in and leave it plugged in when rebooting, and the system always booted fine. I had gotten in to the habit of disconnecting it when not in use, so I can't say with 100% confidence that the problem was solved, but I didn't see it again after upgrading the BIOS.

I've since moved the external drive to another machine, so I'm not facing the issue any more. Again, I can't say it's fixed, but my machine is running fine now -- so I can't complain. ;-)

Thanks again,

- Al

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
HPool
Message 7 of 8 (1,356 Views)

There was a BIOS update released for that unit for the issue you have described.  I am certain your issue has been resolved.

I work for HP.
Please use plain text.
HP Pro
JohnL
Message 8 of 8 (1,352 Views)

BIOS V1.08 fixed the following issue but I'm not sure if this is the same issue you have encountered. If you're using bios v2.08 and still have the problem, you need to escalate to HP to address your issue.

The following fix has been made in BIOS version 01.08:
- Fixed an issue that caused USB data drives to prevent system boot.

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own. Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation