Z600 dual CPU not working together. (163 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Rayovac
Message 1 of 3 (163 Views)

Z600 dual CPU not working together.

Hello All,

I've got myself a Z600 Workstation recently and decided to upgrade from a pair of E5520 @2.26 to a matched pair of E5640's @2.66.

The issue is each E5640 processor works fine singularly, but together I get various non boots. No video, high fans and random beeps.

I've checked the quick spec's and it list the E5640 as a supported option. But oddly enough not the E5520.

I've upgrade to the latest BIOS revision prior to the upgrade.

I haven't played around with the memory config, but I have it as 2GB, 2GB, 1GB from top to bottom in both banks, all Samsung @ 10600E.

I've posted this issue on another HP board, but got no help. And I've lost that board.

I'm an HP field hardware tech so I've swallowed some pride coming here.

Thanks much for the help or guidance. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Rayovac
Message 2 of 3 (138 Views)

Re: Z600 dual CPU not working together.

I may have figured it out for myself. My unit's system board's Intel 5520 chipset is  B3 revision of the chip.

And the 5600 series processor requires the C2 revision. But if this is true, why is it that I can run one single 5600 chip, that being a E5640? I'm only assuming this is the issue as the two E5520's worked fine together. And we all know what they say about assuptions.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
Dan_in_WGBU
Message 3 of 3 (107 Views)

Re: Z600 dual CPU not working together.

Rayovac, if your system has the B3 IOH chipset revision, it will not support the 56xx CPUs.  The behavior can be intermittent.  Some 56xx CPUs will not boot at all, others in the family may boot, but will be unstable, and can crash or hang.  The reason is the boot block in the BIOS of your Z600 only supports the 55xx CPUs. 

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation