Z400 + SSD + AHCI (1005 Views)
Occasional Visitor
GlennM
Message 1 of 5 (1,005 Views)
Accepted Solution

Z400 + SSD + AHCI

I have a Z400 workstation (L5639 CPU w/8 GB RAM) with a clean install of Windows 7 x64 on a brand new Samsung 840 Pro SSD. While the BIOS shows that RAID + AHCI is enabled and I even installed the latest Intel driver for the controller, the Samsung benchmark utility shows performance at about half what it should be based upon what I've seen from others using this drive. It appears to be running in IDE mode to me.

I've seen one relevant thread here from someone working with a Z420 and this same drive and they solved it by using the Intel driver rather than the default that installs in W7, but that didn't make any difference in my case.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it. I've attached some of the relevent screen shots.

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Alex Geroulaitis
Message 2 of 5 (996 Views)

Re: Z400 + SSD + AHCI

Onboard SATA port? It's 3G. 270MB/s is awesome for 3G, you won't get much higher - and 99.999% of time you won't need to - it's low latencies that matter, not raw transfer rates.
HP VAR, Systems Integrator
(if my post was helpful, please "mark as a solution" or give "kudos" - thanks)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GlennM
Message 3 of 5 (978 Views)

Thanks Alex. Yes, onboard SATA port. Sorry that I omitted that.

And you may be correct for the 3G port. I was expecting more based upon some previous data that I'd seen but may have been looking at 6G and simply not made the connection.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Scott D. Harrison
Message 4 of 5 (959 Views)

[ Edited ]

Alex hit the nail on the head.....

In the Z400 there only are SATA generation II ports, which have3 Gbit/s (300 MB/s) max speeds, but the Z420 has both SATA generation II and III ports with the speeds up to 6 Gbit/s (600 MB/s).

See attached Z400 and Z420 HP brochures, under the "drive controllers" detail.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GlennM
Message 5 of 5 (947 Views)

Thanks Scott. It does appear that Alex is correct. I went through the quickspecs on the 400/420 after he mentioned the controller issue and it is clearly USB 2/3.

I feel better that I'm not missing anything and I also agree with Alex that for real world use, the controller difference won't be significant with this SSD.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation