Re: Z200 - XP hangs for 5 minutes on boot (637 Views)
Occasional Collector
JamieLaundon
Message 1 of 4 (1,062 Views)

Z200 - XP hangs for 5 minutes on boot

[ Edited ]

Hello,

We've got a large number of Z200 workstations that we ghost our standard XP image onto.  Becasue of the specific environment they run in, they don't have any additional software installed or antivirus updates, and don't have windows updates turned on.  After a few months of normal operation, we see that a reboot takes around 5-7 minutes long, and in some cases, 25 minutes.  It shows the XP splash screen for a few moments, then goes blank until booting continues as normal many minutes later.  There is no hard disk activity during this time.  

These are machine across several companies and several networks, and we're struggling to understand what the common feature is (apart from our XP image) and why they work fine for a little while, then take much longer to boot.

Has anyone else come across this?

Thanks,

Jamie

HP Pro
JohnL
Message 2 of 4 (1,030 Views)

Re: Z200 - XP hangs for 5 minutes on boot

Your image may have the problem. Please try to update all of drivers (especially chuipset and storage) at the z200 support web sites. If this does not help, please try to boot safe mode. If the safe mode does not have the problem, there is something wrong with your image. The other way is to install XP with standard way. This will enable you to know if the problem is with your image or not.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own. Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.
Occasional Visitor
Saint_X_Tech
Message 3 of 4 (642 Views)

I have the same exact problem with some of our Z200 machines, also using XP on our image.

Occasional Collector
JamieLaundon
Message 4 of 4 (637 Views)

Hi Saint X,

Sadly we never did find a solution - we have updated everything we could think of, but to no avail.  The wait time could be between 5 and 30 minutes.  We re-imaged them to Windows 7, and haven't had any issues since.

Jamie

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.