XW6600 - Win 7 pro - No display after update bios 1.45 (466 Views)
Frequent Visitor
thanatolopoulos
Message 1 of 6 (466 Views)

XW6600 - Win 7 pro - No display after update bios 1.45

Hello,

I have a XW6600 on which I installed Win 7 prop x64 under bios 1.18. It worked fine.

Yesterday, I updated the bios from 1.18 to 1.45. The station worked too but the wifi pci card is not reconnized but it has power. I updated drivers from Windows update then I restarted all.

At the boot start, I have no signal from the graphic card so no display on the screen !!!

Is the bios risponsable and make the PCI-E port faulty ?

Please help me. Thank you in advance

Richard

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Scott D. Harrison
Message 2 of 6 (446 Views)

Re: XW6600 - Win 7 pro - No display after update bios 1.45

[ Edited ]

Richard,

I have an xw6600 running BIOS 1.45 (which came out in August of this year), and also recently upgraded the xw8600 I just posted about with a non-HP brand memory problem to its 1.45 BIOS version.... no problems at all with either of these upgrades, and I flash the new BIOS from within W764 when I do that.  I make sure to not have any other programs running, such as Explorer or antivirus software, during that.  If you have doubts regarding using that approach you can burn a CD and boot from that, or update from within BIOS as other more "machine language" ways to do that.

Regarding your current problems....... I have a low threshold for doing a low level reformat and a full clean reinstall of the OS when such a thing happens.  It is a painful thing to do, but when things whack out like that there usually is not a quick fix.  I have tried the quick fix approach, and usually end up with nagging problems in these situations and end up doing the clean reinstall eventually anyway.

The reinstall seems to put things back together in the right places..... and I do a low level reformat using DBAN if I have a suspect hard drive, or just a long version NTFS reformat if I have a known-good hard drive that I want to do the clean load of W7 onto.

Scott

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
thanatolopoulos
Message 3 of 6 (433 Views)

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your answer. If I understand, I've got to disable all parts and check out if each of them are well plugged. But how can I access to the bios panel if my graphic delivers no signal on boot ? Is there a way to proceed with the crisys recovery jumper ? I find no information about that

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Scott D. Harrison
Message 4 of 6 (426 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're saying you get zero video even in the primative phase of boot?  If so I'd take out that video card and try another one in the main PCIe x16 slot (where your video card should be now).

There are tips on pulling out the motherboard battery, pressing the CMOS button, etc. to reset things, putting back in the battery.... only do this with the workstation fully unplugged.  I personally have never had to do a full crisis BIOS recovery procedure but that should be in the Service and Technical manual that you can download.

Scott

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
thanatolopoulos
Message 5 of 6 (409 Views)

Hey, I followed your advice and I boot with another graphic card after reseting cmos. That works and I got video signal !!!

Thanx a lot :)

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Scott D. Harrison
Message 6 of 6 (404 Views)

That is great news, and thanks for the followup (that will help others).

I've never had a bad outcome from upgrading BIOS from within Windows, but I don't have antivirus software or Explorer running at that critical time, out of habit.  I guess maybe there are some benefits to upgrading BIOS via a more primative pathway (from within BIOS off of a USB drive, from a burned bootable CD, etc.).  HP gives a lot of options in those BIOS upgrade service packs.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation