Re: X4000 corrupted Bios (46 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Edison M. Castro
Message 1 of 2 (46 Views)

X4000 corrupted Bios

[ Edited ]

I am having a problem with my X4000 workstation. I decided, for no good reason, to upgrade my bios to the latest version. In the middle of the procedure my power went out.

I restarted the machine and I know I get a blank screen and nothing else. I tried to recover the bios by enabling the Boot Block recovery Recovery swith and booting from a bios floopy, but it does not work. I tried following the procedure discussed in http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xd55f42308663d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

Whenever I boot up with the Boot Block recovery Recovery swith on I get one beep followed by 3 beeps followed by 3 beeps and ending with another beep. The power and hardrive light are flashing red while the diagnostic lights are off-red-off-off

Does anyone have an idea what does that means, besides that I am not getting my computer to work. I also see that there is no floppy seek no matter in which state the recovery swith is.

I am very desperate, I need this machine working again as soon as possible. Can someone give me an idea on what to do next.

Edison

Moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards>general to Workstations - z series, xw series, and legacy x and w series

Valued Contributor
skiser
Message 2 of 2 (46 Views)

Re: X4000 corrupted Bios

Off-Red-off-off is "The BIOS cannot load" which pretty much is what you've described.

If you've added a second CPU recently, I'd remove it

Reseat RIMM's, and remove non-HP memory.
Remove all accessory cards except video.
Disconnect HDD's & optical storage.
Disconnect the speaker cable from the motherboard.

Make sure that you have flipped switch 2 on after disconnecting power. Sometimes people flip 3 instead of 2.

Check your crisis BIOS diskette. It should be a bootable DOS floppy with no memory manager. Along with the bootfiles, you should have the following files on it:

phlash16.exe
iuw116us.wph
autoexec.bat
Autoexec will contain one line phlash16 /c /mode=3 iuw116us.wph

Then go back to following directions. It should access the floppy at this point.

Cheers,

Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.