Re: Upgrading motherboard and case [HP Z220 CMT] (287 Views)
Occasional Visitor
valala1
Message 1 of 4 (365 Views)

Upgrading motherboard and case [HP Z220 CMT]

Hi all!

I recently got a HP Z220 CMT. The 400W psu however is not sufficient for my graphics card and I went ahead and bought a new one. At that point I didn't know that I can't use standard power supplies with this model since the main power connector is different.

So right now I'm in a situation where I'd need to buy a new (good brand) motherboard like Asus, Gigabyte or MSI to use my new psu and gaming graphics card. And why not upgrade the case as well while I'm at it. The HP case has horrible airflow and adding fans is really not possible. Also, there are some connectors (like the power button?) that wouldn't fit my new mobo.

Here's the main question: will everything else from my Z220 fit and work in a non-HP, regular ATX motherboard (and case)? I mean the RAM, CPU, CPU cooler, card reader and every other important part that I possibly forgot to mention here. The expensive parts like cpu and ram can't be proprietary, right?

Thanks heaps for helping me!

Visitor
LJWilli
Message 2 of 4 (313 Views)

Re: Upgrading motherboard and case [HP Z220 CMT]

I'm in the same situation, I've got a new case (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119260) and a new MoBo (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837) coming this week. The CPU socket type in my z220 is a LGA 1155 and the motherboard is compatible with this. And as far as any other incompatibilities, we should be fine. I'll reply once more once I have put it all together.

Luc

Occasional Visitor
valala1
Message 3 of 4 (298 Views)

Looks like the cpu cooler has a proprietary mounting. What a shame. 

Visitor
LJWilli
Message 4 of 4 (287 Views)

That's exactly what I was about to warm you of, although other than that, the rest of the components work perfectly in a new MoBo. A new heatsink won't cost you too much either, thank goodness.

Luc
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.