Rebuild z400 with XP after it was shipped with win 7 (5030 Views)
Visitor
Superhans
Message 1 of 12 (5,030 Views)
Accepted Solution

Rebuild z400 with XP after it was shipped with win 7

hi

im trying to rebuild a z400 workstation with win xp after it was shipped with win 7.

ive booted the win xp, pressed f6 to load the driver, when prompted. and have installed the driver below at this time

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

once thats been accepted, i format the HD, and then it starts to install xp, but less then a minute later, its looking for the driver again "lsi pci fusion -mpt miniport driver" and pressing enter to get it to browse to the a:\ doesnt work.

so, just wondering if anyone has come accross this, and how do i sort it.

i would have thought that the fact that i was able to see the disk, and format it with this driver would have been enough for me to finish the install of xp.

anyway, any ideas welcome. thanks

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Superhans
Message 2 of 12 (4,983 Views)

Re: Rebuild z400 with XP after it was shipped with win 7

:smileysad:

hi all, i need to bump this, havent had any joy with support, need to get this machne built asap.

heres some more info.

The hard disk in the machine is a HP 450 GB pn581313-001.

its connected to a sas HD converter.

this is then connected to a hp branded lsi logic card : PN sas3041e-HP.

ive carried out this softpaq update which updates the firmware on the lsi card.

LSI Logic 3041e SAS RAID Firmware and BIOS Utility

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTy...

then i installed the LSI Logic 3041e Driver for Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

, via the F6 option during windows startup.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

but again, once you format the HD, when it starts to copy the files to windows, i get the  please insert the  disk labelled "LSI fusion  - MPT sas Storport driver" into drive A

and then nothing, can anyone help at all? :smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Superhans
Message 3 of 12 (4,962 Views)

hi all

got it sorted now.

found this on the lsi website.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

New System Installation This procedure installs the LSI_xxx.SYS driver onto a Windows XP x64 system. Use this procedure when installing Windows XP x64 onto an unused drive. Windows XP x64 automatically adds the driver to the registry and copies the driver to the appropriate directory. Note: Windows XP x64 contains a SYMMPI.SYS driver that supports the U320, 919 and 929 devices. When performing a fresh installation with a device that is supported by the bundled SYMMPI.SYS driver, loading of the LSI_xxx.SYS driver using the F6 key will have no effect and the SYMMPI.SYS driver will be used. To use the LSI_xxx.SYS driver, upgrade the driver after installation has completed as described in Section 2.2. The method for installing Windows XP x64 on a new system involves using a CD-ROM. Installation using boot floppy diskettes is not supported by Windows XP x64.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

so what you have to do is slipstream this driver into the windows xp 64 build.

you can do this by using the nlite software

http://www.nliteos.com/

once i did this i was able to build it sucessfully.

kinda disappointed that there is no refrence to this on the hp website when you are downloading the drivers etc, and also the 2 calls to hp technical support , there was no mention of this......

so hopefully i can save some user the pain i had installing it...good luck!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jairo
Message 4 of 12 (4,451 Views)

Could you please post the complete Link where you exactly downloaded the driver ?
having the same problem ..

Thank you in advance,
Please use plain text.
Visitor
Superhans
Message 5 of 12 (4,442 Views)

http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/internal/sas3041e-r/index.h...

im pretty sure this is the link to the one i used , it might be diffrent for you, say if your sas card isnt the 3041e, if it is, you should be able to get the driver from above.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
dbidavid
Message 6 of 12 (4,407 Views)

I've tried ntlite and I can't seem to get it to work either.  Would you be able to provide further instructions on your ntlite configuration?  I've tried a couple different ntlite configs without success.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 7 of 12 (4,405 Views)

Hi:

Why not just go into your BIOS and in your storage options menu you can change the SATA Emulation from ACHI (default) to IDE and load XP w/o any issues.

Then once it is installed, go ahead and load the SATA ACHI drivers afterward.

If you need help loading the SATA ACHI drivers once XP is installed just post back, and I'll try and help.

You cannot change the SATA Emulation setting back to ACHI until you get the SATA drivers loaded or you will be met with the blue screen of death.

Paul

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
JohnL
Message 8 of 12 (4,386 Views)

If a SATA hard drive is attached to SATA port of the system board and SAS drives are attached to LSI 3041E controller, Windows XP can be installed with IDE mode for the SATA Emulation without any driver. But we do not recommend this IDE mode because this will impact the performance.

In order to install Windows XP x64 or x32 using F6 key installation, two drivers’ diskettes are required. One is LSI Logic 3041e Driver for Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (SP41487) and the other one is Intel Rapid Storage Technology Utility and Driver for Microsoft Windows (SP49042). In addition, DON'T insert the floppy diskettes until the system is requesting the floppy diskette driver.

The procedures what I have done are:

1. Make two floppy diskettes for LSI 3041E and Intel SATA drivers using SP41487 and SP49042.

2. Attach an USB floppy diskette drive and insert an OS CD. Please make sure NOT to insert the floppy diskette into the floppy drive.

3. Press F6 key.

4. Press S key and insert the LSI 3041E floppy diskette. Select “lsi pci fusion -mpt miniport driver".

5. Press S key and insert the Intel SATA floppy diskette. Select “ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R…..”.

6. Configure Disk.

7. Insert the LSI 3041E floppy diskette when system asks to insert the disk labelled "LSI fusion - MPT sas Storport driver" into drive A.

8. Insert the Intel SATA floppy diskette when system asks to insert the disk labelled "Intel Rapis Storage driver" into drive A.

9. Follow the screen instruction.

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own. Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Tokke
Message 9 of 12 (4,061 Views)

I'd like some more explanation to load the SATA ACHI drivers.
I changed the Sata emulation mode to ide and installed Windows XP.
When I change the SATA emulation mode back i'm stuck with a bluescreen.

Thx in advance
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 10 of 12 (4,056 Views)

Hi:

You will need to know what version SATA ACHI controller you have:

1.  Install the chipset driver first & reboot:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20019&lang=eng&OSVersion=&DownloadTyp...

The following steps are used for installing AHCI drivers in Windows XP operating system installed using the IDE mode.

2. Download AHCI driver from downloadcenter.intel.com  then extract the files to a folder you name. Put the folder on your C: drive and remember where you put it so you can browse to it .

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19599/eng/10.1...

3. Right-click the My Computer icon, click Manage, select Device Manager

4. Click the + symbol beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers , this would show the devices under this category.

5. You will find the Intel native SATA storage controller driver installed.

6. Right-click one of the Serial ATA storage controllers listed, and click Update Driver .

7. In Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard, select No, not this time. Click Next .

8. Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) . Click Next

9. Select Don't search I will choose the driver to install . Click Next

10. Click Have Disk

11. Click Browse

12. Select location: c:\folder you saved ACHI drivers to.

13. Select iaAHCI.inf

14. Click Open

15. This will list several SATA AHCI Controllers. From this list, select Intel® ICHXXX SATA AHCI Controller (I am not sure as the the specific one if there is more than one (Pick the one that is closest to the name of the controller in your device manager). Click Next.

16. The Update Driver Warning will be shown. Click Yes

17. The driver will install, and completing the Hardware update Wizard appears. Click Finish

18. You can find the updated controller in the device manager.

19. During restart, press the F10 key and boot to BIOS setup utility . Go back to your device configurations sub menu and change the SATA  Mode back to ACHI, save settings there (F10) and upon exit, save changes and reboot.

Now, the SATA driver is successfully installed and the desktop will boot into Windows with SATA Device Mode set to AHCI.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
dan1_2112
Message 11 of 12 (3,613 Views)

Lee,

I am working on trying to downgrade a new Z800 to Windows XP 32-bit. HP is unable to provide OS disks despite the fact that earlier Z800s were able to be ordered with XP.

The procedure you have outlined is very helpful. With the BIOS set to Raid/AHCI, I can now get all the way to the drive configuration. Before, I was only installing the SAS driver and the system would blue-screen when trying to start Windows. If I set the BIOS to IDE mode, I could get past the blue-screen as well.

The problem I have is - in either BIOS mode, IDE with just the SAS driver, or AHCI with both drivers (SAS and SATA), I can configure the drive, and the XP installer starts copying files. The XP 32-bit installer looks for the two additional drivers on the A: floppy drive again, and this is where we are stuck. The system or the installer seems to "forget" where the A: drive is. Hitting the Enter key does not make the installer look at the floppy; the floppy drive makes no attempt to read the disks.

Is this problem due to the 32-bit installer, versus the 64-bit? Or does the Z800 access the floppy drive differently? We are using an external USB drive like you said since there is no way to install an internal one.

For now, I am going to create an installer using nLite and slipstreaming both of the drivers into that installer. From what I have been able to find, that should work for us, but I also look forward to your reply.

Thank you,

Dan

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
OCDtech
Message 12 of 12 (3,488 Views)

sorry for thread resurrection, but hopefully this helps someone in the future.

i had the exact same problem...

long story short, the drivers would load until windows started copying files to the drive, then it would forget that i had a USB floppy, and would not check it for the drivers...

i popped open my xw8400 workstation, found that it indeed had a FDD controller.

just hooked up a floppy drive and let it dangle out of my case...

it worked...

hope you have an onboard FDD controller!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation