Re: Memory Parity Error (124 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Hugh Estes
Message 1 of 11 (1,063 Views)

Memory Parity Error

I recently deployed an XW4400 with 4 gb of ram and after the user ran some data crunching apps. on it for a few weeks it started producing a 'NMI:Parity Check/Memory Parity Error'. I removed 2/4 gb of the ram and the user ran it successfully for 2 days and then the message came back. I doubt it's the ram but what other problems could be causing this condition?
Thanks,
Hugh
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ronald Postma
Message 2 of 11 (1,063 Views)

Re: Memory Parity Error

Hi Hugh,
Did you tried it with the 2GB you removed in the system? maybe the ones you let in are not goed anymore.
Have you run memtest programs?

Have a nice day,
HTH, Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Hugh Estes
Message 3 of 11 (1,063 Views)

Thanks Ronald,

I'll try both suggestions. What made me wonder about a different combination of memory though is that the two I left in worked for 2 days and I would think if they were defunct i would see that same error right away, but i'll try it.
H
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Langley
Message 4 of 11 (1,063 Views)

I have same problem with an XW4400 with original supply of 2048 Mb purchased beginning May running XP Pro.

The PC h/w has not been modified.

Worked fine for 2 weeks, and now is occasionally giving me blue screen error as you describe, when using CAD. BIOS is 02.02 all the latest Win updates are performed and it is connected to an SBS 2003 server.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
micha-gr1
Message 5 of 11 (1,063 Views)

xw4400, 2gb original hp ram + 2 gb kingston, fx1500, AIS 10, 'NMI:Parity Check/Memory Parity Error'. machine delivered 18.06.2007, 2x crashed, HP insight Diagnostics run more than 50 complete loops > no errors... did anyone have an idea ?

Thanks
micha

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jon Dodson
Message 6 of 11 (1,063 Views)

I've been getting this same exact error for almost 6 months. Just bought this HP xw4400 Workstation 9 months or so back. Completely rebuilt the box with XP Pro and ran multiple memory checks with no errors.

Getting extremely frustrated and beginning to doubt the wisdom of buy HP product. Hope someone at HP responds very soon to help a customer.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ronald Postma
Message 7 of 11 (1,063 Views)

Hi Jon,
It is wiser to begin a new thread an refer to this one. That way more people will read your post.
Be aware that most peoplo here are just users or prof users that do not work for HP, but there are some.

Regards ,Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Please use plain text.
Visitor
Valle Gianpaolo
Message 8 of 11 (1,063 Views)

there is someone who has found the solution to the problem?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
doubtfulThomas
Message 9 of 11 (854 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes! I had the Parity Error on an HP xw4400 and it was the onboard network card that was fried. Disabled this in BIOS, put in a spare Intel NIC on a PCI Card and it was all good again. I spent many hours mucking around with memory swaps to no avail.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
JohnL
Message 10 of 11 (782 Views)

Most of people think that 'NMI:Parity Check/Memory Parity Error' description is related to the memory parity error. This is not true. This error message indicates that a parity error is detected on the PCI bus. This error is caused by any PCI devices including memory. I saw the same problem casued by the video driver as well. In F10 Setup, there is aBIOS setting to disable this error message. However, this is not recommended because this may generate the data loss or other critical problem event hough the system is running without the blue screen. Please try to update the latest drivers for all devices first, differetn video card,  ... and then memory.

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own. Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
blockst
Message 11 of 11 (124 Views)

How do I do this for a Z420 workstation?

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation