How would I obtain system management bus controller drivers for an HP Z210 CMT? (978 Views)
Occasional Visitor
SRenn
Message 1 of 4 (978 Views)

How would I obtain system management bus controller drivers for an HP Z210 CMT?

I just purchased an HP Z210 CMT (product number XM856AV).  I installed a Kingston 240 GB SSD, and then performed a clean install of Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit.  From Windows Device Manager, I get the message that, with respect to the system management (SM) bus controller, "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)."

Could anyone advise me as to how to obtain the system management (SM) bus controller driver(s) for an HP Z210 CMT?

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance.

Very truly yours,

Steve Renn

Valued Contributor
Skylarking
Message 2 of 4 (953 Views)

Re: How would I obtain system management bus controller drivers for an HP Z210 CMT?

Steve, when you say you preformed a clean install on your upgraded SSD, did you use the "HP System Recovery Disks" to perform the reinstall?

The reason I ask is that I understand HP recovery disks will load all required drivers for your system, including but not limited to both SATA and AHCI+RAID drivers. In this way you can change the BIOS setting between SATA and AHCI+RAID and not get a BSOD during boot up since the OS then has both drivers available for use.

If you used a non HP OEM Win7Pro install disk, you must take care to manually install all appropriate driver during the OS install process otherwise a BIOS setting change, for example from SATA to AHCI+RAID, may result in BSOD. I also understand that with SSD's, you need to ensure that AHCI drivers are used to entertain any possibility of TRIM functionality being active since SATA drivers do not provide TRIM. If you use the wrong drivers (SATA), you will not get the most out of your SSD and may find BSOD issues with a BIOS change!  This post will provide some more infor.

Luckily all Windows 7 Professional x64 drivers and software for the Z210 CMT can be found on this HP web page.

So, if using a Windows (non OEM disk) install process, ensure you have AHCI+RAID set in BIOS and also ensure you have the Intel Rapid Storage drivers loaded on a USB stick, then during the OS install process press F8 to load these IRST drivers from the USB stick before you proceed to configure disk partitions. Doing this should ensure you have the AHCI drivers loaded and the SSD should work a little better (or at the least, not slow down over time).

Also, from within windows proper, load the chipset drivers as this should resolves the SM bus controller issue. Also load managment and serial over lan drivers as this will resolve another common missing drivers (or if you don't utilize this Intel Active Management Technology feature, I think you can disable it from within BIOS and thus the hardware is not seen by windows).

In fact I would go through the first mention HP driver and download web page and indeed download and run all the latest drivers/packages (obviously you can skip the bloatware)...

Esteemed Contributor
Scott D. Harrison
Message 3 of 4 (948 Views)

Re: How would I obtain system management bus controller drivers for an HP Z210 CMT?

[ Edited ]

Skylarking has it all in there for you..... I can't remember if in W7 it is F8 or F6 to add in drivers at the beginning during a clean install.  In XP it is F6, for sure.  Most HP drivers can be loaded in after the W7 clean install has been done, and the W7 DVD usually has most if not all the drivers on it you'll need (it does for the xw6400/6600/8400/8600).  Therafter I update the motherboard network and audio drivers using the universal W7Pro64 HP service pack updated drivers from the Z600 W7Pro64 listing.

The particular drivers Skylarking is referring to are different, and must be critical to the most primative level of boot.  They also actually are on the W7 DVD, but will only be installed automatically if you have the BIOS set to "RAID + AHCI" (some workstations give the option of "RAID" which will get you both, or "AHCI" which will get you only the AHCI drivers (discussed below).  Those drivers are not on the XP clean install CD, and that is why you must use the F6 trick for XP but not the F6 (F8?) equivalent for W7 clean installs.

I have not loaded up the workstation you speak of, so maybe some of the important drivers actually are not on the W7 DVD.  You should be able to get things up and running on some level with the DVD alone, and then add in special added drivers from HP thereafter.

For experimenting I like to do clean installs onto a small fast drive, and uncheck the W7 activate automatically box where you enter the COA code..... you get 30 days to dink with that install for free.  Once I figure things out then I activate.

There is one trick to add.  With XP it is virtually impossible to add in the drivers that allow setting SATA emulation in BIOS to "RAID + AHCI" after the fact, if you had forgotten to do the F6 floppy/thumb drive step at the very beginning of the clean install.

Not so with W7 and later.  Microsoft has an after-the-fact method to add those in without having to start all over.  Here is the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

In the case of a clean install and using the floppy/thumb drive add of the special drivers that allow AHCI and/or RAID Intel advises to choose the initialization file (iaStor.inf) that gets you both RAID and AHCI capabilities opened up, for maximum flexibility even if you think you'll never use RAID.  The other option is to choose iaAHCI.inf instead, which gets you only the AHCI drivers..... I now only use the iaStor.inf in such situations.  HP clone installs from the factory will get you the broader driver install, also.

HP Pro
JohnL
Message 4 of 4 (927 Views)

did you install a chipest driver?

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own. Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.