Re: HP z600 - Can i install x2 E5506 CPU's (1042 Views)
Occasional Visitor
dbarker1979
Message 1 of 4 (1,080 Views)

HP z600 - Can i install x2 E5506 CPU's

I have a z600 with 1x E5506 @ 2.13Ghz quad core cpu, will the motherboard support a second CPU of this type or would i need to upgrade to a newer / diffrent CPU. 

Quick specs does not list this CPU the only place i can find it is Ebay (i think its EOL) 

Speed is not my primary concern i want to use the second DIMM bank for some additonal memory. 

CPU Details: 

2.13 gigahertz Intel Xeon
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
4096 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Thanks,

Doug

HP Pro
Dan_in_WGBU
Message 2 of 4 (1,047 Views)

Re: HP z600 - Can i install x2 E5506 CPU's

[ Edited ]

The E5506 works in a dual CPU configuration. If you already have one that works in a Z600, a second one will also work.

Use the same CPU in both sockets. I accidently ran 2 different CPUs (same type, different core speeds) in a system a long time ago. It worked, but it is DEFINITELY not supported or recommended. If you want more performance, upgrade both CPUs, otherwise just get another E5506.

This is an older CPU. If you get one from Ebay, be careful. Make sure any processor you get is a production "S-spec", i.e., it will say SLxxx on the CPU. There are some engineering sample "Q-spec" processors out there, but I do not recommend getting them. They could be older steppings that are not supported by the BIOS or fully functional. These CPUs were never intended to be sold or used by the public. Anything from Ebay could be damaged or mistreated. But you know all of this already. ;-)

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.
HP Pro
HPool
Message 3 of 4 (1,042 Views)

Just as an added note:

Look for this part number as the 2nd CPU for the z600.  That way you know that it should be more compatible.

Intel Xeon E5506 2.13 4MB/1066 QC CPU-2
Option part number:  NF147AA
Spare part number:  536892-001
I work for HP.
Esteemed Contributor
Scott D. Harrison
Message 4 of 4 (1,029 Views)

[ Edited ]

Dan mentions the Intel Xeon qualification samples, with their laser-etched code on the top of the stainless steel core cover starting with Q..... these will not work in any HP production workstation because they are not listed in the microcode part of BIOS that lists the exact set of processors that are HP-certified to proceed into bootup.  They are rare to see for sale, and never worth buying.  Also, if a Xeon has two sSpec codes I always buy the more recent one (G0 stepping on their Ark web site for the ones I buy) because they will have improvements built in.  I have never seen a newer version of the same processor not work when an older version would. 

The newer QuickSpecs for a workstation may not list all of the old original processors that were listed in earlier versions of the QuickSpec document, I have noticed.  We're up to version 47 as of the 3/8/13 Z600 QuickSpec.

That E5506 is an 80W max TDP processor, and there is only one sSpec code for it (SLBF8).  You don't need to buy it from HP to get the exact item you are looking for.  You can buy that new from Intel for about $225.00 USD per their Ark web site.  eBay cost for one is about $55.00 right now ("buy it now") and that's with the option of "or best offer" which usually means you can get it for 10-20% off the stated buy it now price.  I have bought numerous used Xeon processors off eBay and have only had a few duds, easily exchanged.  For those few the sellers have never asked me to send the bad one back (they sent another one at no added cost).  Just go to eBay and search under SLBF8, and take a look.... order the listing by lowest price with shipping.

TestPic.jpg

For thermal compound I prefer the non-conductive Noctua type, and for the long T-handle torx screwdriver for the heatsink screws I get mine from McMaster.com.  I have posted on those here in the past.  I think you can work with the Z600 screws with a straight blade screwdriver, also.

As an 80W processor a second E5506 will work fine with the same basic heatsink/fan as the first.  Try to get the HP part numbers off that first heatsink to match with a new used one off eBay.  And, of course, you can also look at other 80W processors that are in the current QuickSpec and see if you actually might want to buy two of those instead of one of the E5506's to get an added boost........  and it is wise to update to the latest BIOS, regardless of what you do, but especially if you update to two newer processors that might not be listed in the HP microcode of an old BIOS you might still be using on your Z600.

Scott

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.