Re: HP Z800 RAM - single rank versus dual rank? (128 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Don_HP
Message 1 of 3 (166 Views)

HP Z800 RAM - single rank versus dual rank?

[ Edited ]

(Cross-posted from the Desktops forum on an Expert's recommendation)

Hello,

I have an HP Z800 workstation with 16Gb ram, and I want to up that to 48Gb.

This helpful document on the HP site - HP Z800 Memory Configuration and Optimization -  states:

* The HP Z800 supports Unbuffered 1GB single rank and 2GB dual rank PC3-10600E 1333MHZ ECC DIMMs
* The HP Z800 supports Registered 4GB and 8GB dual rank PC3-10600R and PC3-10600P 1333MHz DIMMs

But the data sheet

( http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/file/product/ds_ddr3_2gb_d-die_based_1_35v_rdim... )

for the currently installed  RAM  - (four times 4Gb sticks, Samsung Part # m393B5270dh0-yh9) , says this is 4Gb single-rank -

What I understand from some reading is that single-rank might have some small latency advantage due to the lack of the ranking buffer.  And apparently the Z800 can support it since that's what's in there - it doesn't have to be dual rank as the HP doc says. (Or maybe saying it supportds dual rank implies it can also support single-rank?)

So - I'm shopping for additional 4Gb sticks - I know I should not mix single and dual rank.

I can find dual-rank sticks cheaper than single rank.  Tossing the existing sticks and buying 12 new dual-rank would actually be cheaper than adding 8 new single-rank.  But is there a performance advantage of the single-rank?

Do I ditch the existing and get all new double-rank 'cause it's cheaper and performs just as well, or do I shop for new single-rank and pay the premium 'cause it performs so much better?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Don_HP
Message 2 of 3 (147 Views)

Re: HP Z800 RAM - single rank versus dual rank?

After more reading maybe I have it backwards - is dual rank actually better for this machine?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Don_HP
Message 3 of 3 (128 Views)

Re: HP Z800 RAM - single rank versus dual rank?

[ Edited ]

In the meantime - I've found the exact same sticks as already in the achine - Samsung Part # m393B5270dh0-yh9 - at a good price - better than the dual-rank.  So now I'm hoping the single-rank is actually better - or at least close to equivalent - in terms of performance.  If it matters, the Z800 is being used for music and video editing, and I'll be going 48Gb in 12 x 4Gb.

Same part #, same Samsung sticker on the stick - just not an HP branding sticker - but I'm guessing they all just stick their stickers to the same stick from Samsung.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation