02-13-2013 08:09 AM
I just purchased a working / used HP XW9400 Box with 2 x Dual AMD Opteron Processors, 16GB RAM.
Bios Updated to 4.0.5 today and its working fine when booting off to the SATA HDD with Windows 7 on.
This machine has quiet a few SATA / SAS Connectors, however I have only installed ONE (1) HDD SATA into this box.
I booted off the machine with a ESX Installer USB and had plugged in a 4GB Kingston USB as the ESX install destination.
Installation went fine (it complains "no hardware virtualization") however on vmware forums this is reported as a bug and can be ignored.
After a successful installation when ESX asks to remove the installer and reboot, i did as suggested, however It won't boot off the 4GB USB KINGSTON I have esx installed. No matter what, I tried boot-menu,. changed boot-order etc. but it won't boot.
During installation, when selecting Storage for ESX install destination, it shows the SATA HDD as "REMOTE STORAGE", even though this is connected locally.
It boots fine (Windows 7) on the SATA HDD.
Any suggestions - help to boot esx with a usb on thsi system will be really helpful.
1) - Can I boot ESX off a USB on this machine ? (After installing esx on a usb - i mean)
2) - Can I disable the built-in RAID CONTROLLERS (LSI) ?
3) - Can I flash these RAID Controllers to IT MODE ? (I would use this as a ZFS BOX in the near future but for now I want to use ESX on this)
4) - Does this box have TWO Built-in RAID CONTROLLERS ?
5) - Can I plug SATA Drives on SAS PORTS ?
Any other helpful tips will be really appreciated, i bought this box after reading on forums that this is fully working with ESX 5.x onwards as well.
Looking forward to your replies and thank you for reading !!