Re: Adding a 4th monitor? (145 Views)
Occasional Advisor
lkubler
Message 1 of 4 (179 Views)

Adding a 4th monitor?

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a Z230 workstation, tower model.  My understanding is that it comes with ports for 3 monitors, two display ports and one VGA.  Problem is I need it to run 4 monitors.  My sales rep is suggesting a rather expensive graphics card that supports 4 monitors. 

Anyone know if it would be possible to add a less expensive graphics card that only supports one monitor and still use the three built in graphics?  Or would this be undesirable for some reason.

Thanks in advance,

Linn

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Alex Geroulaitis
Message 2 of 4 (145 Views)

Re: Adding a 4th monitor?

First, I'd confirm that Z230 supports all three ports simultaneously. I am not so sure about that. Two - most likely. Three - just not sure.

The answer is "yes" though: you could have an add-on graphics card and attach monitors to both.

HP VAR, Systems Integrator
(if my post was helpful, please "mark as a solution" or give "kudos" - thanks)
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
SASIKUMARR
Message 3 of 4 (118 Views)

With Windows 7 and 8, the Z230 can suport up to 3 monitors from the onboard ports - DP/DVI/VGA. If you want a 4th monitor to be connected, you can either go for an add-on graphics card, or add an HP USB Graphics Adaptor - This will allow you to connect a 4th monitor from a USB port on the system.

NL571AA - HP USB Graphics Adapter

Regards,

Sasi

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answer solves your problem. Don't forget to give Kudos if the answer was helpful..!!
Please use plain text.
HP Pro
JohnL
Message 4 of 4 (112 Views)

If you are attaching three monitors through all of DVI connectors of montors, this will not work. Please refer to the folloiwng Customer Advisory: C04012437

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/advisoriesDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=536...

If you can add a NVIDIA NVS 510 2GB Graphics controller, you don't have to use onboard Intel graphics. This card will support 4 monitors with one video driver with better control. You can also add NVIDIA NVS 310, 315 or other video cards as well to use 4 monitors with onboard graphics. I'd recommend to use the NVIDIA NVS 510 2GB Graphics controller.

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own. Please click the "Accept As Solution" button if the answers solve your problem.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation