t5730 Doesn't boot or post. Solid green light. (3942 Views)
Visitor
itjmiller
Message 1 of 12 (3,942 Views)
Accepted Solution

t5730 Doesn't boot or post. Solid green light.

[ Edited ]

We have 30 or so t5730 Thin Clients and a few t5740s.  So far this month, we've lost six... one by one.  When you plug them in, they immediately show a solid green power status light, but do not boot, post, or anything.  You are even unable to turn them back off without unplugging them.  We pulled one apart and reseated the memory and other components, but it didn't help.  Using a power adapter off of a working unit doesn't help either.  Out of stuff to try.  Any ideas?  Thank you for your time. 

Frequent Advisor
Evans Conforti
Message 2 of 12 (3,880 Views)

Re: t5730 Doesn't boot or post. Solid green light.

It sounds like you have some environment issues that are killing your TC's. Are they on surge protectors or battery backups?

I work @ a healthcare facility in FL and most of our TC's (t5730/t5740/t5740e) are on surge protectors, and have been running without issue for years. 

Visitor
a2tom
Message 3 of 12 (3,722 Views)

Did you ever figure this issue out?  we are losing 2-3 a month to this issue.

Occasional Visitor
hacksmith
Message 4 of 12 (3,597 Views)

Yes, I found a solution after a lot of trial and error.

The reason these devices do not boot (which was true for all the ones I had to fix) is that the CMOS battery is drained. Unlike other computers, these thin clients don't simply boot up with a bad system date and show an error. They just don't run.

I bought new CR2032 batteries, opened the thin client, popped out the old battery and installed the new one and closed it back up.
The first time you power up, you'll see solid green lights again, but hold the power button for 10 seconds and make it shutdown.
Press the power button again and let it boot and it will give you a display, and show an error related to the BIOS settings having been reset. Hit f10? to get into the BIOS, set the correct date, arrange it to use the boot order you like, save and exit.

Your thin client should now be functional.
Occasional Visitor
hacksmith
Message 5 of 12 (3,593 Views)

btw... you are likely to run into this problem if you've kept these clients in storage (not plugged into the power source), or bought them used, in which case they likely would've been in storage for a while.
Visitor
itjmiller
Message 6 of 12 (3,170 Views)

This worked for me.  I'm glad I held onto these for so long.  Thanks!

Visitor
Mike Paris
Message 7 of 12 (3,024 Views)

We are experiencing the same issue with our HP t5730 Thin Clients.

Now I get to replace 100+ batteries, that should keep me busy for a while.

Thank you

Occasional Visitor
knew know
Message 8 of 12 (2,961 Views)

Wow... thank you very much. I tossed two of these units out last year because I was afraid that they were dead. I haven't had the problem since until this month where I lost another one that hadn't been plugged in for a few weeks and was working fine prior to unplugging. Ridiculous that this isn't documented anywhere and that HP isn't wasn't aware or didn't let their customers know of this "solution".

Anyway... thanks again. Now I just need to get over the fact that I tossed and replaced $1000 worth of perfectly good and useful hardware.

Occasional Visitor
Burniebrae
Message 9 of 12 (2,921 Views)

Is there any other causes of this thin client not to boot.

I have taken a Battery from a working Client and put in another thin client and it still wont boot.  None of these have been connected to our network as yet.   So i know its not our environment.

Suggestions??

Occasional Visitor
gpburth
Message 10 of 12 (2,888 Views)

thanks for the info. In our case it were three devices long unused which didn't start again. Now I have to replace those in the still working devices, too...
Occasional Visitor
peterbernier
Message 11 of 12 (2,627 Views)

Thank you for posting this! I've been able to resurrect eight thin-clients so far that I'd thought were scrap.

Occasional Visitor
re1Ohio
Message 12 of 12 (2,361 Views)

Thanks. Fixed a few t5730s and saved our customers 1000s.

How many others have sent these in for repair for 100+ bucks and HP said they replaced motherboard! That is border line fraud in my book. Thanks again for the valuable repair tip!

Instructions for removing covers and such is located here (very easy - just be careful to use the right size screwdriver and firm pressure to avoid stripping screws):

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01330214.pdf

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.