t410 hide everything but RDP not using Kiosk mode (1081 Views)
Advisor
winskitech711
Message 1 of 10 (1,081 Views)

t410 hide everything but RDP not using Kiosk mode

Hello, we're testing out some t410 thin clients for use in our shop. Ideally I'd like all options except RDP, power button, switch to administrator mode button, and network status  hidden. I don't want to switch to Kiosk mode because different users could log into RDP. 

Is there anyway to do this? With the client profile software or not it doesn't matter. I've already used the registry editor to hide the client information but I want to lock these down further. Optionally, if I could get Kiosk mode to show the RDP login screen, but not actually log into RDP, that would work as well.

Any help is appreciated.

Advisor
winskitech711
Message 2 of 10 (1,064 Views)

Re: t410 hide everything but RDP not using Kiosk mode

Doing some more research on this issue I installed the client profile editor, but don't have a profile.xml to edit nor did the instructions say where to get one from nor was anything convenient in the thin client interface itself like an "export profile settings" button.

After more research I found posts talking about SSHing in, but not specifically where to find the profile.xml file at. Tried to SSH in with Putty, no luck, tried to go through X-Term and install SSH on the client, no luck, brings up an error message.

root@ThinClient001: # apt-get update

Reading package lists... Done

W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock

W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

root@ThinClient001: # apt-get install ssh

W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock

W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

E: Couldn't find package ssh

Advisor
winskitech711
Message 3 of 10 (1,060 Views)

The more research I do, the more I'm thinking the zero clients don't have the ability to be SSH'd into. This would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker. Ultimately what I need to find is the profile.xml on the device, somehow, and to edit it in the profile editor.

HP Pro
Andrew_S
Message 4 of 10 (1,041 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

You are on the right track and I am sure you can do exactly what you want.

Please refer to "HP Smart Zero Core 4.3 Administrator's Guide". http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/action.process/public/psi/manualsDisplay/?s...

Smart Client services is installed onto a Windows Server with IIS, .NET Framework and IIS 6 Adman tools.

Smart Client Services 4.3.2.20196 Rev. 1 (20 Jun 2013) sp62378.exe can be downloaded from http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5226836&sp...

Using DHCP option 137 to allow the client to find the server you have installed Smart Client Services on to, the thin client will download and process the profile.xml you have created on the server with profile editor.

You can set the device up with profile editor, so that it will boot and sit there at RDP logon screen. You can hide any/all buttons you require. Different users will be able to use the device quite happily as long as previous user has logged out.

This is a cool solution, once you find the correct software and the correct document.

Regards

Andrew S.

I work for HP.

*** Click on the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks' ***
Advisor
winskitech711
Message 5 of 10 (937 Views)

Is there any way to connect in and pull/copy the .xml file on an indivdual machine?

HP Pro
Andrew_S
Message 6 of 10 (930 Views)

Sure is.

I am sure it is in the Admin guide. The concept is you create a profile.xml and rename it to the thin client's MAC address.

---------------------

MAC address-based profile

This section covers how to create an Automatic Intelligence update profile for a single MAC address

and how to place that profile on the HP Smart Client Service so that it will be downloaded by the client.

Certain devices require different settings based on locations. In this profile type, MAC profile and

general profile are merged, with the MAC profile taking precedence.

Open the existing general profile using Profile Editor.

Modify or add new registry keys as needed for specific device.

(Optional) Delete all unnecessary registry keys.

Use system info from the client to obtain the MAC address.

Click Save Profile As and save the profile to HP Smart Client Service (C:\Program Files

(x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Smart Client Service\auto-update

\PersistentProfile\MAC\<MAC>.xml

, e.g., 00fcab8522ac.xml).

Reboot the client with that MAC address.

Ensure that the settings have been applied.

Regards

Andrew S

I work for HP.

Advisor
winskitech711
Message 7 of 10 (924 Views)

I understand how to create a new profile and push it down to a machine, what I'm talking about is pulling a profile from machine to use that as a template for all other machines.

HP Pro
Andrew_S
Message 8 of 10 (919 Views)

Sorry - Not an option.

You cannot export settings on a thin client to an XML file to be deployed to other thin clients.

However, the settings are not usually that extensive that they cannot be created in the server based Profile Editor. I would be surprised if you cannot find the configuration options in Profile Editor for any configuration options you need.

Regards

Andrew S.

I work for HP.

Advisor
winskitech711
Message 9 of 10 (799 Views)

Any update on SSHing into t410s? I still cannot get in nor install alternative SSH on the machine.

HP Pro
Andrew_S
Message 10 of 10 (793 Views)

Sorry,

I am not sure I understand.

The t410 is designed as an access device. You use it to access something else.

RDP/ICA/PCoIP usually. There is a browser in there also, but I suggest it is mostly there to start an access session to RDP/ICA/PCoIP server.

VNC is available for shadowing a user activity but I would use HP Device Manager to access/shadow the T410, if that is your requirement.

Regards

Andrew S

I work for HP.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.