06-18-2013 09:32 PM
We have a couple of t410s we're evaluating and we can't get them to update from a central server.
The auto-update entry has been made in DNS and the client is resolving this, contacting the server and looking for updates, but for some reason it's not finding them. The output from the system logs is as follows:
'auto-update' DNS alias was found.
Getting list of possible updates...
Available general updates:
Available updates for model 't410':
Retrieved update information from
Checking for image update...
No image updates found.
Checking for Packages update...
No Packages updates found.
Checking for Custom update...
No Custom updates found.
Checking for PersistentProfile update...
No PersistentProfile updates found.
Checking for StatelessProfile update...
No StatelessProfile updates found.
Locked file system.
Exiting HP Automatic Update...
We've placed a profile.xml with some settings in the PersistentProfile folder. We've also tried a macaddress.xml file in the PersistentProfile/MAC folder. We've also tried the same in the t410 folder.
When I turn the client on, the IIS logs on the auto-update server show me that the client is contacting the server and traversing the folders, but for some reason it's not finding the XML files. Permissions of the files look fine - I've even tried opening them up and giving Anonymous and Everyone Full Control, but it's made no difference. I'm stumped. Any ideas?
Also on a probably unrelated note - how do I find out what version of the Smart Zero Client I'm running? Neither the System Information nor the System Logs for the Smart Zero Client Service on the device show it - and these would seem the logical places to find this information.
Thanks in advance for any assistence.
06-19-2013 08:10 AM
When I compare it to the output of our clients' logs, it looks like you are missing the path in the auto-update.
You should be seeing:
Retrieved update information from http://auto-update:18287/auto-update
I suggest you try to use a manual update configuration first and then have a look at DNS and DHCP.
When using DHCP to auto-detect the update server, there are some predefined options you need to set. One of these is the address for the Smart Client to discover the server and the path,
i.e. dhcp option 137 - http://auto-update.domain.com:18287/auto-update
I hope this helps
06-19-2013 05:12 PM
Aha! Thank you very much for that. Based on that info I also found this thread that discusses the issue. It seems like the HP installer doesn't create the IIS site properly. So a little reconfiguration and my clients are now updating!
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Strike one for HP though in my eval.