04-17-2012 09:05 AM
My company has a collection of t5730 (Mobile AMD Sempron 2100+) and t5740 (Intel Atom N280 1.66GHz) thin clients running Windows XP Embedded.
I would like to know whether it is possible to upgrade them to the latest version of Windows Embedded, how much this would cost and how to go about performing the upgrade.
04-17-2012 10:32 AM
Do your t5730's and t5740's have enough flash and ram to meet the recommended minimum config? Typically the cost of replacing flash, RAM and the WES2009 license brings you fairly close to the cost of a new device.
What are you looking to do on WES2009 that the latest XPe SP3 image isn't doing for you today?
04-18-2012 04:54 AM
Both the t5730's and t5740's have 1GB RAM and the t5740's have 1.9GB Flash storage.
We exclusively use Remote Desktop Services on Windows Server 2008 R2 for our desktop environment and I wondered whether WES2009 on the thin client devices would offer any improvments in performance and security.
We also have some staff who attach USB devices to the thin clients e.g. Barclays USB Pin pad reader http://www.business.barclays.co.uk/BRC1/jsp/brccon
Does WES2009 offer increased support for USB devices?
04-18-2012 07:23 AM
I have just read through your question regarding the thin clients both t5730 & t5740.
t5730 model runs on Microsoft Windows XP Embedded 5.1.810 Rev. A (22 Feb 2010) and the
t5740 model runs on both Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 2009 5.1.966 Rev. A (5 Mar 2012) and Microsoft Windows XP Embedded
The advantage you would have when running the WES2009 is that, you would have.
- HP Info Center v1.1 R41
- Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection v5.1.2600.6000.1 R6101 w/ RDP7
- Microsoft Media Player 11.0.5721.5268
- HP Monitors Support v20110518
- HP TeemTalk v 188.8.131.5292, R55
- VMware View Client 184.108.40.2063491
- Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 SP1 v5.1.2600.6000.8, R6112
- HP Multimedia & USB Enhancements (MMR / USBR) v7.2 MR1, R13
- Citrix Receiver (Enterprise) v220.127.116.1185, R47
- Symantec Endpoint Protection v5.1.3978 R45 (Policy X3978.12711.01)
- HP RGS v5.4.7
- Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
- HP Velocity v1.4.1R5138
- HP Device Manager Agent v4.4.13055
- HP ThinState Capture PE2.0 Version v18.104.22.168, R42
- HP EzTools (Hydra) - Connector Build 43, R52
- HP EzTools (Hydra) - Easy Config Build 47
All these options are upgraded or freshly installed with WES2009.
Hence it would be definately better performance and reliability to upgarde.
I think you should definately go ahead with updating to WES2009 on t5740 model thin client.
04-18-2012 07:30 AM
Do not believe there is an upgrade SW/OS program on HP Thin Client.
The t5730 is EOL and the lastest image is XPE SP3 810. I do believe HP continue to release MS QFe.
T5740 latest image is WES09 image is 966.
04-24-2012 08:57 AM
Thank you muix431 and Rong for your helpful responses.
Management's decision for now is to stick with what we have and swap units out as they fail or new employees start.
I don't currently have a way of centrally managing the thin clients I have as I have adopted this environment from another IT provider. Is there a thin client management product from HP that I can download to do this?