Update bios T610 using Device Manager (845 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Franc van de Westelaken_1
Message 1 of 4 (845 Views)

Update bios T610 using Device Manager

Hi,

I need to update the bios of 100+ T610 TC's using HP Device Manager. I've written a file and registry task using HPQFlash, but that's not very usefull. HPQFLASH in silent mode doesn't wait until it's finished. It just runs in the background. So the update task immediately returns successfull while the bios update is still running according to the taskmnanager on the Thin Client. So I've no way to detect when the bios update is finished so the Thin Client can be rebooted to active the new bios (HPQFlash in silent mode doesn't reboot the Thin Client after finishing flashing the bios).

Any suggestion how to get a reliable bios update task using HP Device Manager?

Franc.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
ivsha9
Message 2 of 4 (838 Views)

Re: Update bios T610 using Device Manager

I'd make a batch script similar to this:

hpqflash stuff

echo finished > \\server\share\%computername%.txt

or

echo %computername% finished >> \\server\share\flash.txt

Then use file and registry task, deploy and run the script on all thins you need to.

1st case would generate txt file for every thin with finished line

2nd case would generate one file and append computername finished for every thin

2nd case can couse trouble because 2 (or more) computers could finish at the same time and could not open file for writing at the same time so be sure to use some pauses :)

In your situation I'd do 1st case. When you see filename (eg. Marketing1.txt) in your file share you know flashing is complete for that computer and you know it's done and push reboot task.

This is not perfect (both cases) but at least can give you some information.

I've been doing it for getting configured dns servers on network adapters.

Maybe hpqflash have some more switches to give some detailed output.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Message 3 of 4 (832 Views)

Hi,

that's the way I have it now. The problem however is that HPQFlash returns control to the OS immediately after starting, but keeps running in the background until it finsihes its job (seen in Task Manager). So after sending the task, the step after HPQFlash is executed immediately once HPQFlash is launched and returns control. There's no way to determine when HPQFlash has finished other than looking at the Task Manager and see when the HPQFlash.exe process disappears from the task list.

Franc.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Message 4 of 4 (824 Views)

Hi,

it's getting weirder ;-)

When calling HPQFlash with the -s option from the command line, it immediately returns to the command line as stated. However, when calling HPQFlash from a batchfile with the -s option then HPQFlash waits until it finishes 

Strange behaviour.

Franc.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation