ThinPro clones the hostname too! (152 Views)
Advisor
stkristobal
Message 1 of 2 (152 Views)

ThinPro clones the hostname too!

I have seen this on and off (between versions) for a long time now, and it's getting kind of annoying. When I clone a ThinPro image, I get the hostname of the cloned unit with it. So in essence, if I clone up 20 new units; I have 20 identical hostname entries in Device Manager.

The MAC addresses and other paramters are as they should be, but it still is annoying.

Anyone got a fix for this? There aren't many options when you clone a device.

I see this with multiple installations, and with both T510 and T610 clients, and I've had the issue since HPDM 4.3 at least. I am now on 4.5 SP4, and using ThinPro 4.3

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
tanelorn26
Message 2 of 2 (109 Views)

Re: ThinPro clones the hostname too!

check out this post..
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Workstations-Thin-Clients/HPDM-4-5-sp3-thinpro-4-3-2-set-hostname-from-...

our asset management folks give us stickers with numbers on them,  I take that number and put it in each of the machines' bios AssetTag field.  and I use that for a couple of different things.  One is to set the hostname of the device,    once you have the asset tag field populated, you can run a script task to the box, that looks like this 

if [ "$(hostname -s)" != "$(dmidecode -s baseboard-asset-tag)" ]; then
    /usr/sbin/hpdmmc set network hostname="$(dmidecode -s baseboard-asset-tag)";
fi

and that will set the hostname of the object,  at least for the version of the agent that we have now.  if they change the syntax of the hpdmmc command, it might stop working..    you can send the same job to all of the machines, and they will rename themselves based on that field.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation