Re: Problem installing HP Device Manager in T5730 (1410 Views)
Advisor
Isdera
Message 1 of 15 (1,430 Views)

Problem installing HP Device Manager in T5730

Hello, first of all I have to say that I have never worked with Thin Clients.

I have to install HP Device Manager in T5730 Thin Client.

I download it from here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

I think is what I have to install. But when I'm trying to install, it says:

1152: Error extracting c:\temp\{..... } Device Manager 4.4.msi to the temporary location.

I have also tried to install the previous version, but the same error.

Anyone knows what is the problem or what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you very much.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
RobertMayer
Message 2 of 15 (1,410 Views)

Re: Problem installing HP Device Manager in T5730

Are you trying to install the HP DM onto the t5730 directly?

The HP DM Software you downloaded is for Servers/PC's only. The t5730 already has a HP DM Agent (Client) integrated in the latest t5730 Image which just needs to be updated to the latest version via the Server Software you want to install.

------------------------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

*** Click on the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks' ***
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Isdera
Message 3 of 15 (1,407 Views)

Ok, thank you very much.

So if it is already installed, where is it installed? I cant find it.

Is this the latest version?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

I have installed it but I don't see HPDM.

Thank you.

Iker.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
RobertMayer
Message 4 of 15 (1,402 Views)

What you've downloaded is a very old Add-On for customers transitioning from Symantec Altiris to HP DM to put the Agent onto the unit if it didn't has one. Newer XPe Images already have the HP DM Agent included so there is no need for this Add-On.
When you install it, it basically just unpacks into a Temp Folder which should be C:\swtemp

This is the correct link for downloading the latest HP Device Manager Version which has the User Manual and all the latest HP DM Agents included:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Isdera
Message 5 of 15 (1,392 Views)

But that is the same link that I put on the beginning and you said it was only for servers.

I have a mess...

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
RobertMayer
Message 6 of 15 (1,388 Views)

Yes, this is the one you need to install on a Server or Windows PC for managing the Thin Clients, it doesn't run on XPe or WES. Only the HP DM Agent does run on the Thin Client which can be updated from the HP DM Management Console Software but an older Agent Version should be already integrated in the XPe Image.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Isdera
Message 7 of 15 (1,343 Views)

It has been a month but I'm still unable to solve this. What I have is a client, not a server.

You say that the t5730 already has a HP DM Agent (Client) integrated, but on mine there is nothing installed.

If I have understood well, there is no way to install directly the HPDM on a T5730 client, and I have to install it through the server. Am I right?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
HP_TC_EM
Message 8 of 15 (1,320 Views)

[ Edited ]

Assuming you are running XPe or WES2009 on your T5730, log in as Administrator and open Add/Remove Programs - do you see an entry for HP Device Manager?  If so, you already have the HP Device Manager agent installed. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Isdera
Message 9 of 15 (1,313 Views)

Hello. I have just looked, what I have is Altiris Deployment Agent and Altiris Client Agent. I have to replace Altiris by HP Device Manager. I have Windows XPe sp2.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
HP_TC_EM
Message 10 of 15 (1,311 Views)

I would recommend you begin by installing the latest software image on your t5730, which is 810.  This will bring you up to SP3 and has a version of HPDM already included.  This image is about 2 years old, but is the last image released for the t5730.  Please see http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12... to download this image - you can create a bootable USB key from this package that you can use to update your image. 

Once updated, you should be able to locate this device in your HPDM console and push the latest HPDM agent on the device remotely.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Isdera
Message 11 of 15 (1,309 Views)

I will try it. Thank you very much.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Isdera
Message 12 of 15 (1,279 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have downloaded it. I put the file in a bootable USB, but when I start the computer with the USB, it appears a black window with the cursor on the top and doesnt do nothing...

I have also tried to install directly on the computer but is impossible because it says that I need 500 GB free space to extract the file, and then other 500 GB to extract again the new file, and the T5730 has only 1 GB...

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
HP_TC_EM
Message 13 of 15 (1,272 Views)

Please double-check the Release Notes:

1. Download the file by clicking the "Download" or "Obtain Software" button and
saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where
the downloaded file is saved).

2. Execute the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

You'll need to download and execute the softpaq on your PC - you'll be prompted to insert a USB key which will be made bootable and will include the new image.  This is the bootable USB key you'll then plug into your thin client to update it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Isdera
Message 14 of 15 (1,261 Views)

Yes that's what I have done. The file is nearly 500 MB, I copy it to the hard disk, but when I execute it, it ask me for another 500 MB to extract files. The T5730 hard disk is 1 GB, so I can't do this...

The USB is already connected to the PC, but it extracts files on C:\TEMP.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
HP_TC_EM
Message 15 of 15 (1,255 Views)

So there is no confusion, this file is downloaded to and executed on your PC (not your t5730 thin client)?  The t5730 does not have a hard drive - it contains a 1GB flash disk for storage with probably a 16MB ramdrive for temporary storage (Z:\Temp). 

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation