Re: Problem auto imaging new HP T610 (481 Views)
Occasional Visitor
hateforcedrego
Message 1 of 5 (549 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem auto imaging new HP T610

I have a bunch of new HP T610s that I need to image. I have used one to create the environment I want, and I can manually copy that image to the HPDM, then manually deploy that image to a new (auto discovered) thin client.

When I add a "Rule" for First Contact Rules:

Name: Automatic Image

Filter Set (Criteria All, IP Address contains 10.22 which is the first two parts of all our internal IP space, I really wanted a filter that would just say all/any) If I click Generate Device List it shows all existing devices.

Trigger: First Contact

Category: Imaging

Template: 20131118 rule template (auto created when I manually took the image)

Enabled: tick

When I plug in a new HP T610, it is automatically discovered by HPDM (DHCP specifies the HPDM), and then proceeds to reboot in a cycle, and never actually does the imaging task.

The HPDM log shows:

Map repository to Master Repository

Successfully sent task to the Device Management Gateway

Task has been retrieved by the Agent

etc, until I cancel the task

Reset task status to Canceled

Can anyone advise what I might be doing wrong, or how I can make this work? Do I need to manually start an imaging task, is the "first seen" not working properly, do I need to restrict the filter to avoid "already seen" devices somehow?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
tanelorn26
Message 2 of 5 (485 Views)

Re: Problem auto imaging new HP T610

HI,
I would perhaps put an "update agent" task in there first. The version of the agent that comes stock on the box might not be able to handle the job as sent to it from the version of server you're running.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
hateforcedrego
Message 3 of 5 (481 Views)

Thank you for your suggestion, I did check that the devices are coming with the newest agent version already.

I've found/resolved the problem, which was I had changed the default settings in:

Tools -> Configuration -> Task Parameters -> Write Filter, WOL and Task Deferment

I changed it to "Execute regardless of Write Filter status.

So obviously the thin client was sent the instruction to start the imaging task, then rebooted, then collected the instruction again from the beginning etc... creating the loop.

Once I changed it back to "If write filter on, reboot to clean overlay, execute and commit, and then reboot for commitment to take effect", it all works perfectly.

Hope this helps someone else...

Regards,

Adam

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
ski_mike
Message 4 of 5 (364 Views)

I have seen this before in our enviornment. Have you pushed the updated agent before pushing the new image. Once the Thin Client has the new agent and reboots you should be able to push the new image to the system. One other question is are you using RJ45 or a Fiber connection. If you have the fiber NIC installed but are not using it you need to disable the slot in the BIOS of the Thin Client - It will be one of the PCI Express ports. 

Reboot Thin Client - Press and Hold F10 Key system will go into the BIOS Screen.

Go to the Security Tab. Enter Key

Arrow down to Slot Security. Enter Key

Using the right and left arrow key Change PCI Express x16 slot for Enabled to Disable.

Press the F10 to Accept your changes.

Press the ESC key to go to File - Save Changes and Exit. Enter Key

Answer Yes to Exit and Save Changes. Enter Key system reboots 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JazzyJay
Message 5 of 5 (316 Views)

I too had this happen, the cause was a slight variation in Agent versions.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation