How to find out information (thin client model or OS) about IBR images? (2099 Views)
Occasional Advisor
ThomasB_1
Message 1 of 7 (2,099 Views)

How to find out information (thin client model or OS) about IBR images?

[ Edited ]

Hello!

I have to prepare different models of Windows-based thin clients (t5720, t5530, t5630, t5630w, t5540, t5730, t5550, t5740, t5740e etc.) with pre-prepared software images configured for certain tasks. I was also provided with a number of image files which contain the relevant software images for these thin clients.

However, the problem I have now is that I don't know which file belongs to what model of client, and I am not keen to try around 80 files on every type of thin client we use until one doesn't throw up "device is not licensed for this OS" and finally lets me install the image. So I wonder if there is a way to query the image files for detailed infomation, i.e. what model of thin client they were made for or at least what OS they contain. And rebuilding the images from scratch is no option as it would take as long as testing them all.

All these images have been created with IBR.exe and IBRPE.exe but I haven't seen a parameter that lets these programs throw out details about an .IBR image file.

Therefore my question to the collecive community wisdom: is there a way to find out what thin client a .IBR image file is made for, or at least what OS they contain (which would at least limit the number of possible target devices).

Any ideas?

HP Pro
Rong
Message 2 of 7 (2,066 Views)

Re: How to find out information (thin client model or OS) about IBR images?

Let see if I can help out..

t5630 and t5730- have XPe OS license and the latest image will be 810 and I believe HP will not be updating this image.

t5740, t5730w and t5630w - have the WES 09 OS license the the latest image version is 925.

t5740e have the WES 7 OS license and the latest image is 204 but will need to udpate to the latest 1.04 bios.

I believe HP updated the IBR DOS to IBRPE starting with image 910..

t5530 - have Ce 6 license and the latest supported image is 639 and believe HP will not updating this image.

t5540 and t5550 - have also Ce 6 license and the latest support image is 655 ..

Good Luck..

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
Occasional Advisor
ThomasB_1
Message 3 of 7 (2,045 Views)

Thanks, I already know which thin client model runs what OS and what the latest revision offered by HP is, but that is not the problem.

The problem is that I have a bunch of purpose-built(!) (so *not* the standard images from the HP site!) image files with names like df_001.ibr, df_002.ibr and so on, and that I don't know which file belongs to which thin client model. If I knew what OS variant these files contain then this would help, but unfortunately all I have are files with a filename saying nothing.

Therefore I am looking for a way to extract some useful information out of these files. What I would expect is something like a parameter for IBR.exe or IBRPE.exe which makes it to show some details about the image, i.e. what OS it contains. After all, the version of OS must be encoded in the file as otherwise I wouldn't get the "this device doesn't have a license for this OS".

So my question still stands: how can I gather detailed information about a certain .IBR file?

HP Pro
Rong
Message 4 of 7 (2,040 Views)

From my understanding the first 512 bytes are header information where they store iamge, version and Os info. 

Occasional Advisor
ThomasB_1
Message 5 of 7 (2,030 Views)

That sounds interesting. You don't know by chance which bytes are doing what? Just looking at the headers with a hex editor and comparing it with factory images didn't reveal any clues or similarities.

Occasional Visitor
Skr4Dogs
Message 6 of 7 (1,832 Views)

IF HP is not going to update the 8.10 image - How do I load the WES2009 image to my T5730's?  I get the following error when I try..."The image does not have the license for the image OS!"  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Valued Contributor
Kite Runner
Message 7 of 7 (1,816 Views)

Hi,

there is no "summarized" documentation which ibrs is related to which modell.

Also I am not aware of any switch to display the content / version.

You need to do this by yourself, downloading the lastet softpaq for your modells, extract  (select deployment), and save in structrued directories.

Or use a third party tool to look into the files.

Be aware all modells you have listed are "Windows" units, but e.g. the 5530, 5540 & 5550 are Windows CE. You will not be able to install e.g. Windows XPe, WES, WES7, due to they don't have the licenses avaiable.

Kite

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.