Re: HP t510 WES7 16GB Client , why only a 8GB C: drive? and image sizes (1863 Views)
Regular Advisor
Dean Cunningham
Message 1 of 6 (1,873 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP t510 WES7 16GB Client , why only a 8GB C: drive? and image sizes

Hello, I am bound to have lots of little questions as this is the first time I have used HDPM and t510 thin clients (Yes I have read the HPDM manual once.... which is more than most will :)  )

so... yes .. questions....

1) I have these new HP t510 WES7 16GB clients ( B8L633AA#ABG ) why do they have only a 8GB c: drive?

2) When I clone an image from them, it is a 16GB image, is there any way to compress this image as It is only using 4.5GB

HP Pro
RobertMayer
Message 2 of 6 (1,863 Views)

Re: HP t510 WES7 16GB Client , why only a 8GB C: drive? and image sizes

2) HP DM currently doesn't compress while Imaging but this will be a feature in a future version.
------------------------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

*** Click on the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks' ***
Valued Contributor
DeanC911
Message 3 of 6 (1,857 Views)

The most recent release of HPDM, v4.4.3, now supports file based imaging. Using this method, the resulting image file will be around the size of the actual used space on the flash instead of a 16GB file. Also when applying the image, the disk will be expanded to use the entire flash space. I don't know why the flash was only formated to 16GB out of box.

I am a HP employee however, the views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.
Regular Advisor
Dean Cunningham
Message 4 of 6 (1,793 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Dean, thanks for the reply! this sounds promising but.... :)

I am using 4.4.3 Rev. A (18 Jun 2012) 4.4.3610.13987 of HPDM, but cannot see any file based imaging option?

I am using the "clone image" task

I can't see anything in the manual about file based imaging or any options in the task?

Any tips or pointers greatfully accepted :)

Regular Advisor
Dean Cunningham
Message 5 of 6 (1,665 Views)

bump :)
Regular Advisor
Dean Cunningham
Message 6 of 6 (1,488 Views)

OK here are a few solutions

1) the 16GB t510 clients came partition with 2 8GB drives , one c: the other not used. Downloading and installing the "latest" image from the HP website, I found used a different imaging tool to the one the Easy Tools utility uses. It sucessfully re-imaged the thin client with 14.8 GB c: drive and a16MB partition "unused". Near enough to good enough for me.

2) the new image has crippled the image creation via HP Easy Tools (HP Support looking into that one).

3) You can capture a file based image (.IBR) via the thinstate capture tool (under control panel). You disable the EWF and reboot, then run thinstate. In thinstate you can turn the EWF back on after image is created

4)The agent on the "New image" is a newer version than the one that came with the thin clients EVEN THOUGH the OS is the same version. So a gotcha there. I should of pushed the 4.4.3 HPDM version of the agent out when I first set the HPDM up, but I made the assumption that because the OS version I hade was the same as what was on the HP website.. that i was up to date..

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.