HP Velocity & Citrix Provisioning Target Device (6.1) software conflict (363 Views)
Occasional Visitor
PseudonymousCat
Message 1 of 3 (363 Views)

HP Velocity & Citrix Provisioning Target Device (6.1) software conflict

Not a question, just sharing info.

The presence of the HP Velocity software will cause the Citrix Provisioning Target Device software from properly being able to send an image to the Provisioning Server (version used: 6.1).  You will receive the error "Error: vDisk is not available. Please check your network PXE boot Configuration and restart imaging wizard."  Other blog posts point towards having nonpresent NICs in the Device Manager as causing this issue--and I don't doubt that it does.  There's just an additional cause: HP Velocity.  The resolution was to uninstall HP Velocity, uninstall the Target Device software, then reinstall the Target Device software and dump the vDisk as normal.

Additionally, HP Velocity seems to be not compatible with VMXNET 2 virtual NICs in VMWare; the LiveQoS NDIS 6 Filter Driver network service does not attach properly.  VMXNET 3 works.  (My headaches appeared when attempting to upgrade virtual NICs while attempting to deploy HP Velocity to provisioned XenApp servers.)

Just putting this out there for the search engines to pick up.  Putting it under the HP Thin Client section for reasons obvious to HP Velocity users.  =)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
PseudonymousCat
Message 2 of 3 (339 Views)

Re: HP Velocity & Citrix Provisioning Target Device (6.1) software conflict

Updating my original post, since it contains inaccuracies.

Further investigation shows that HP Velocity has no difficulty attaching the LiveQoS NDIS 6 Filter Driver to a VMXNET 2 virtual NIC.  What HP Velocity does have difficulty with is attaching the LiveQoS NDIS 6 Filter Driver to a NIC that is communicating with the Citrix Provisioning Server.  To test, I added three additional virtual NICs to the VM as it was running: an E1000, a VMXNET 2, and a VMXNET 3.  The LiveQoS network service successfully attached to all three additional virtual NICs.

To get around this, I reverse imaged my provisioned vDisk to a local drive on the VM, booted to that local drive, uninstalled HP Velocity, uninstalled the Target Device software, rebooted, reinstalled HP Velocity, disabled the LiveQoS NDIS 6 Filter Driver in the network adapter properties, reinstalled the Target Device software, and ran the wizard to dump a new vDisk.

This left me with a new golden image with HP Velocity correctly installed, but the LiveQoS network service that allows it to intercept/monitor network communications disabled.  From here, when I enable the LiveQoS network service, about 50% of the time it works properly (and can successfully monitor/protect traffic), and 50% of the time it breaks communication with the Citrix Provisioning Server, causing the VM to hang.

From here, if I take one of the successful attempts and write it back to a new version of the vDisk (via a maintenance mode version), then attempt to boot off of that updated version of the vDisk with the LiveQoS NDIS Filter Driver enabled, I invariably receive a stop error when booting: 0x0000007B.

From the searching I've done, this is typically received due to two reasons: the golden image is missing MS hotfix KB2550978, or the provisioned machine is connecting to the provisioning server using a virtual NIC that has a different ethernet adapter pci address than what was seen on the original Target Device.  However, neither of these solutions seems to apply in this case.  I've made sure that KB2550978 was installed on the Target Device, and I'm using the same Target Device VM to boot the updated vDisk, so the pci address cannot have changed.

I've got a Citrix SR open, and I'm attempting to get HP support in on this as well.  I'll keep this updated with my endeavors.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Wiedi
Message 3 of 3 (201 Views)

Re: HP Velocity & Citrix Provisioning Target Device (6.1) software conflict

Hi

Any news on this?

I'm going to implement it in the same way as you did...

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation