Re: File based imaging using HPDM (917 Views)
Advisor
DrChrisWarner
Message 1 of 10 (970 Views)

File based imaging using HPDM

Hello

Does anybody have any info on using HPDM for file based imaging, I'm wanting to get my 16GB images down in size. I've pushed out the updated agent to the device, what now needs to be done differently to enable the file based imaging?

Advisor
DrChrisWarner
Message 2 of 10 (966 Views)

Re: File based imaging using HPDM

Just spoke with the support desk in regards to this, I'm told file based imaging can't be done. Your image is always the size of the device HD, which is rather annoying when the T510 has a 16 GB HD.
HP Pro
Andrew_S
Message 3 of 10 (962 Views)

The current version of HPDM, V4.4-3 uses file based imaging for WES based image capture operations.

As well as the traditional FTP repository, you must now create an SMB file share repository. It can share the directory structure with the FTP file share if on the same server.

Note, speed is not a strong point. the image deployment times seem to have blown out some what but it works and works well.

Regards

Andrew Stuckey

I work for HP.

*** Click on the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks' ***
Regular Advisor
Dean Cunningham
Message 4 of 10 (947 Views)

Update to the latest client on the HPDM for the HPDM agent. Use the file share repository to pull the image.

Failing that , use the thinstate tool on the client to capture an image (not the easytools) to a usb stick (it will format the stick) and create  an .IBR file. Copy this to the shared file repository and then you can push it to the clients via HPDM

Regular Advisor
Dean Cunningham
Message 5 of 10 (946 Views)

Get the un-educated HP support to read case 4641770024
It should all become clear to them
Frequent Advisor
Jweinberg
Message 6 of 10 (928 Views)

Dean:

Awesome, thank you for the tip about the IBR files. I had a feeling something like that was possible. I'm looking to do near the reverse. I don't currently have on site PXE\gateways at all sites. Sometimes they units are very unresponsive and need to be PXE or USB imaged. Thanks for saving me some time.

Does it work the same way for the older imaging type?

Regular Advisor
Dean Cunningham
Message 7 of 10 (917 Views)

yeah, for wes7 anyhow, you use teh easy tools to image to usb. It creates a ,HPIMG file on the USB stick.

You rename the HPIMG to IMG and put it in the FTP repository.

I found this out due to a bug with the autologon and pulling images via HPDM

Advisor
DrChrisWarner
Message 8 of 10 (897 Views)

When I Imaged a device to USB I have the flash.img file, I also have half a dozen other files on the usb. How is this going to work if I just copy the .img into the repository Dean?

I did attept imaged with this new flash.img just as a test, it did complete however is unable to boot now which is kind of what I was expecting.

Any advice? Thanks!

Advisor
dibbstibbs
Message 9 of 10 (894 Views)

I heard that there's going to be a new version of HPDM released sometime in December.

Frequent Advisor
Jweinberg
Message 10 of 10 (890 Views)

ChrisWarner: I would presume the files you see on the flash drive other than the ibr file are responsible for boot and actually applying the image. I'll be those files are generally copied via hpdm for the nextboot after you send an image request.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.