Re: DHCP settings (7599 Views)
Occasional Contributor
damst
Message 1 of 8 (7,616 Views)

DHCP settings

Hello,

I have trouble configuring my DHCP options.  I know that there are 3 options 201,202 and 203 which can be configured, but don't know exactly when to use which option.  My problem is a follows:

i have a central HPDM server (4.2) and decentral HPDM gateway servers,.  On a decentral site, all Thin clients are in an different subnet than the corresponding gateway sever (no broadcast available).  I would like to know which options I need to setup in my dhcp servers to enable communication to the gateway and the central HPDM server.  At the moment I setup option 201, but this does not seem to work when server and clients are in different subnet.

The HPDM manual is not very clear about these options.

Anyone has solved this issue ?

thanks in advance

Tom

HP Pro
RobertMayer
Message 2 of 8 (7,599 Views)

Re: DHCP settings

Does a manual Discovery work?

Have you enabled Port-Forwarding with the specific Ports as mentioned in the HP DM Release Notes?

In general every subnet should have installed one HP DM Gateway Service.

------------------------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

*** Click on the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks' ***
HP Pro
RobertMayer
Message 3 of 8 (7,598 Views)

[ Edited ]

HPDM 3.x, 4.x DHCP Tags

Introduction

DHCP tags can be used to aid HPDM agent registration and are required for PXE imaging.

Tag 201

Format: ‘[Gateway IP Address]’ ’[Gateway Port]’

Example: ‘192.168.1.2’ ‘69’

Function: The PXE imaging process uses this tag to identify the PXE server during the reimaging process.

Tag 202

Format: [Gateway IP Address] [Server IP Address]

Example: 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.1

Function: If the HPDM Agent does not already have a contactable primary or Backup Gateway it will attempt to connect the Gateway specified here. If that attempt is successful the Agent will set its primary Gateway to this one.

Tag 203

Format: P1=[“value”];P2=[“value”] ;P3=[“value”] ;P4=[“value”] ;P5=[“value”] ;P6=[“value”] ;MG=[“value”]

Example: P1=”Asia”;P2=”China”;P3=”Shanghai”;MG=”Company/Department/Group”

Function: The HPDM agent will return this grouping information in its start up messages and the console will sort it accordingly. P1 - P6 correspond to the 6 user definable grouping criteria for dynamic grouping and MG is the equivalent for manual grouping. MG may take a single word or a path separated by ‘/’.

------------------------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

*** Click on the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks' ***
Occasional Visitor
mshirtcliff
Message 4 of 8 (7,571 Views)

Currently DHCP flag 203 does not seem to work with agent 4.1 or higher, after upgrading to 4.2 Server and Agent the grouping reports as undefined. Clients running 4.0 agent still report in correctly.

Occasional Contributor
Brock H
Message 5 of 8 (6,876 Views)

For tag 201, are you sure its Gateway IP Server IP? The documentation states it being the other way around. Also, how do you force a new primary gateway?

Frequent Advisor
swilson
Message 6 of 8 (6,045 Views)

Has anyone ever gotten the MG feature to work.  I have been trying for a little while today and it is not populating.  I can get P1-P6 to work.  Here is an example of what I had in the option field.

P1=”NE”;P2=”OMA”;P3=”TC”;P4=”3rd”;MG=”DistSys”

The global manaul group returns   "others"

Based on the documentation I should be able to use the P values and an MG value.

I am using HPDM 4.3 and all agents are updated to the version of that Device Manager.

Frequent Advisor
swilson
Message 7 of 8 (5,854 Views)

I have found that the global manaul group seems to take more time to show up than the P1 - P6 vlaues so it does seem to work and I need to be a little more patient.  

Occasional Advisor
Jimmy Ouyang
Message 8 of 8 (4,403 Views)

Hi Rmayer,

Could you further explain the dhcp tag 201, while i am testing the pxe image task, i capture the traffic, find the boot image is copied through tftp upd port 69 (i define the dhcp option 67 for boot file name as "linux.0" and dhcp option 66 bootp next server as my HPDM server) , but to further get the image task , then seems need to access tcp port 69, and then failed, could you clarify about this? if need tcp port 69 ,how to activate/setup it on HPDM windows server?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.