BIOS Update via USB Drive (T5720) (1682 Views)
Occasional Visitor
sepiawin
Message 1 of 2 (1,682 Views)

BIOS Update via USB Drive (T5720)

Hi fellow Thinclients Admins

I used to take a USB connected floppy drive to update the thinclients.

Now i need to update about 40 thinclients and i want to switch to a usb pendrive to go for the bios update.

(to be a little bit faster)

The thing is i cant get the USB Drive to boot into DOS. tried using the followin two tool from HP.

----------------------------------------------

The "HP USB Disk Format Tool"

Creates a wonderful boot disk but i cant get it to boot with a T5720, it just doesn't recognise it as a Boot device.

I tryed booting on one of the newer Thinclients T5740 which have a special option in the bios to boot from USB-DISKS. and on the new thinclient it works just fine.

After a little bit of frustration i went to

The "HP DriveKey Boot utility" to create the Bootdisk.

This doesent seem to work on a Windows 7 Workstation at all. I can get it started in compatibility mode but it cashes whether i Choose "Format key drive as a floppy drive" or even if i choose to fromat the key as a fixed disk.

Can u help me please...?

Thank you very much.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Kite Runner
Message 2 of 2 (1,666 Views)

Re: BIOS Update via USB Drive (T5720)

I don't know the "HP USB Disk Format Tool".
Anyhow you could format it with a standard softpaq from a e.g. 5540.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...
This creates a DOS format. After success copy your needed files and change autoxec.bat if needed.

Kite

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation