Admin Access to HP 5570e WES7 (886 Views)
Advisor
dibbstibbs
Message 1 of 6 (886 Views)

Admin Access to HP 5570e WES7

I'm a newbie to the "Thin Client" world and am using an HP5570e Thin Client (WES7 Imaged) in conjunction with HP Device Manager 4.4.3610.13987.  I'm able to clone and send images etc. to my fleet but noticed that once these devices communicate with HPDM, most of the admin settings longer appear when logging in locally with the administrator account. 

An example of this is that I’m trying to access the NIC properties to change from DHCP to static and unable to access the "Change Adapter Settings” and unsure if this is by design since HPDM is meant to take over managing these devices or if I’m doing something wrong?  Most of the control panel options are also missing or hidden and can't seem to figure out why this is happening. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
HP_TC_EM
Message 2 of 6 (879 Views)

Re: Admin Access to HP 5570e WES7

It sounds like your thin client is logging into the locked-down User account (which is the default behavior).  You'll want to log in as Administrator to have full control over the device locally.

Be sure to check out the quick reference guide at http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03383051/c03383051.pdf to familiarize yourself with thin clients, their features, behaviors, etc. - it's a great reference for those new to thin clients. 

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
DeanC911
Message 3 of 6 (870 Views)

Did you upgrade from a previous version of HPDM? If so, then did you synchronize the "Tools", "BIOS", and "Agent" files from the server repository to the ftp repository? This is not done automatically (yet), during the upgrade. It seems you have the latest version v4.4.3 (Console\server version 4.4.3610.13987). Check the agent version on the thin client and the image being deployed. This should be 4.4.3660.14029 to align with the current server\console version. Imaging was enhance with this version to support file based imaging as well. Image preservation settings were also enhanced with this version. From the release notes...

Enhances the settings migration when imaging Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard thin clients.
For WES7, WES7E, and WES7P thin clients, the following settings and connections will be saved when capturing an image. These settings and connections will then be migrated when deploying the image to other devices.

Settings

• Auto Logon setting
  • IE Homepage setting
  • Local User Accounts, include Administrator account, default user account, and other accounts
  • Systemlocale
  • User locale
  • Input locale
  • UI Language Locale
  • Time Zone
  • Region Format
  • Notification Area setting
  • Task Bar setting
  • DesktopWallpaper setting

Connections

• Citrix ICA
  • RDP
  • TeemTalk

For WES09, all settings and connections will be saved when capturing an image except hostname, network setting, domain setting and Writer Filter status. These settings and connections will then be migrated when deploying the image to other devices.

I hope this helps.

I am a HP employee however, the views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
dibbstibbs
Message 4 of 6 (855 Views)

Thanks for the reply. What's strange is that I'm logged in with the Administrator account as I made it a point to log out from the default user account. I'll look over the quick reference guide you suggested to see if I can get to the bottom of this.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
dibbstibbs
Message 5 of 6 (847 Views)

Thanks for the note. I created the repositories from scratch after I updated the HPDM and also have verified that the TCs have the correct version of the agent. I know these devices can be managed via HPDM once connected but the issue I came across the other day was that I sent a TC to one of our new offices with no network connectivity and needed to set a static IP. When the tech onsite logged in as Admin, none of the normal administrative settings were there as he couldn’t even access the “appwiz.cpl” from the search bar.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
dibbstibbs
Message 6 of 6 (718 Views)

Thanks for those who responded as this issue seems to have been resolved.  I simply took a new image from a thin client again and all seems good.  Don't know what happened exactly but looks like I'm good to go now.  

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation