802.1x support and scalability (1134 Views)
Occasional Visitor
matt_CCNP
Message 1 of 6 (1,134 Views)

802.1x support and scalability

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a Thin Client device that supports 802.1x Wired LAN access using EAP-TLS with Active Directory and is scalable upto 3500 devices?

We currently have the T5565 and this device does not appear scalable as it's Linux based and has no AD integration. The problems I am trying to address are:-

1. Scalability, can each device have it's own user certificate and be easily be revoked/renewed individually? I'm concerned that we need to manually import the private key. - This key may not be exportable due to security concerns.

2. Managability, from what I have seen so far, linux shell scripts are required to add/revoke certs, is there a device that is more slick? Windows based for example?

3. As these 3500 thin clients may have a number of hotdesks, it's important that any user can use any thin client, so is this also possible?

4. We only need 802.1x to allow VLAN assignment, and maybe Downloadable ACL's to permit just Citrix, Web protocols etc. to any LAN port were the thin client is plugged in. Are there any gotcha's??

Any advice or help much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Matt.

Occasional Visitor
matt_CCNP
Message 2 of 6 (1,106 Views)

Re: 802.1x support and scalability

Hi,

I'm really surprised to not get any response to this. I guess 3500 thin clients wasn't enough!!

Bad times :-(
Occasional Visitor
matt_CCNP
Message 3 of 6 (1,087 Views)

Looks like there may be a way using SCEP, although not with HP thin clients unfortunately.

Igel and Tadpole so far have support for SCEP with 802.1x EAP-TLS for wired access. I'm sure there will others too :-)

Occasional Advisor
etrezen
Message 4 of 6 (1,054 Views)

Hello

We are currently working on this type of project, we have 3000 TC (t5740e), not member of a domain, the enrollment will be done with powershell script (push by HPDM), procedure are not very friendly but it's work.

Regards

Occasional Visitor
muha_sa
Message 5 of 6 (860 Views)

Check this:

www.cit-computing.com

regards

Occasional Visitor
jneset
Message 6 of 6 (715 Views)

any tips you have available on how to accomplish such a masterpiece? I have HP T610s that I'd love to run smart client on, but manual certs over 300 devices make me puke. I've switched to WES7, but that is a nightmare.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.