Re: "Firmware Error" on rx/zx (569 Views)
Advisor
valeryz2001
Message 1 of 3 (579 Views)

"Firmware Error" on rx/zx

[ Edited ]

Hello,

sorry for posting here on enterprize servers forum, one about Itanium workstations seems to be uninhabited. My zx2000 machine stayed healthy for 7 years but yesterday I couldn't get it to boot. The signal, as the manual says, means "Firmware Error" and my first idea was that something happened to the cmos battery, I changed it to an identical one - and, it's a miracle, the system booted, to be more precise the EFI shell, which lost all the boot info. After fixing the boot record, finally my Debian revived. Unfortunately, the next boot was bad again, with the same symptoms. Bad pin, something with the motherboard? I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance,

Regards

Valery

P.S. This thread has been moved from Integrity Servers to Workstations - Itanium-Based, hp9000, Visualize - HP Forums Moderator

Please use plain text.
Advisor
valeryz2001
Message 2 of 3 (575 Views)

Re: "Firmware Error" on rx/zx

[ Edited ]

I recall (from my early experiences) that the same error can be caused by EFI-incompatible devices such as mouse and keyboard. Maybe people here are familiar with something similar? Theoretically, if something happens to the keyboard chip, could it lead to the symptoms I described? Unfortunately I have no server keyboard at hand to test, it's my home machine, but I need to check how it boots without keyboard or even connect via null cable :) Sorry for posting my question before trying all known solutions.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
valeryz2001
Message 3 of 3 (569 Views)

Re: "Firmware Error" on rx/zx

Unfortunatelly, the same behaviour :(

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation