Monitor (A4033A) went black (181 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Hyun Ju Kim
Message 1 of 8 (181 Views)

Monitor (A4033A) went black

[ Edited ]

I have a old HP-UX machine (HP-UX 9000/755).

Today, I found the monitor (A4033A) screen was just black. I'm not sure the system works properly now because the monitor didn't show up anything but black screen and I couldn't access this system remotely. I used to use the system a few weeks ago remotely but I failed to access today.

The power of the monitor seems o.k. I checked cables but I couldn't find anything wrong.

Any suggestions?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Hyun Ju

P.S.Moved from Desktops and Workstations - Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards - general to Workstations - Itanium-Based, hp9000, Visualize

Honored Contributor
paul courry
Message 2 of 8 (181 Views)

Re: Monitor (A4033A) went black

If you can't access the system remotely today and you could before take a look at the front panel LED's.

There are five LED's from top to bottom. The top one should be green and indicates the system has power. The 5th one on the bottom is your heartbeat and should be flashing.

If you will post what LED's are lit and not lit on the outside LED's, then open up the door on the front and tell me what LED's are lit and not lit of the 8 LED's inside we can pretty well diagnose what you problem is.
Occasional Contributor
Hyun Ju Kim
Message 3 of 8 (181 Views)

I checked five outside LED's.
The top one is green and third and fifth is flashing, as they were second and forth LED of the 8 LED's inside.

I appreciate any reply.

Thank you.
Hyun Ju
Honored Contributor
paul courry
Message 4 of 8 (181 Views)

Ok. The system itself appears to be up and running. The fifth LED is called the heartbeat. A beating heart means the system is running. The 3rd LED says it is receiving a transmission from the network. The LED's on the inside indicate no obvious problems.

Move the CRT to another system and see if you can get it to work. If not, then it needs to be repaired.

Try and put some other systems's CRT on your 755 to see if it is all right.
Occasional Contributor
Hyun Ju Kim
Message 5 of 8 (181 Views)

Thank you.
I'm trying to find other adaptable monitor to test the system because I don't have the cable to connect monitor to other system.

Colud you please tell me meaning of other LEDs ?

Thank you.
Honored Contributor
paul courry
Message 6 of 8 (181 Views)

One the system is booted, the 5 LED's visible on the front have the following meanings:

1 Power on LED
2 Network Transmit in progress
3 Network Receive in progress
4 Disk access in progress
5 Operating System running (heartbeat)

During bootup the 8 LED's inside the door of the unit have the following meanings:

See attached document
Occasional Contributor
Hyun Ju Kim
Message 7 of 8 (181 Views)

Dear Paul,
Thank you very much.
The attached file you loaded is not opened.
Could you please reload again. I really need the information.
By the way, should I turn off the workstation when I change the monitor? If so, I have to power off the computer because I could not access the system remotely.
I maybe find a same monitor in the campus.
Thank you again.
Honored Contributor
paul courry
Message 8 of 8 (181 Views)

The file I sent you is a PDF file which must be opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader. If this copy does not open please send me your email address to pcourry@hns.com and I'll forward you a copy directly.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.