Re: Maximum Memory of C3600 Workstation (1127 Views)
Occasional Advisor
jakolodziej
Message 1 of 12 (1,340 Views)

Maximum Memory of C3600 Workstation

Hi:

I have an HP Visualize C3600 workstation that currently runs HP-UX10.20. I have been asked by my supervisor to upgrade to HP-UX11. From looking over the requirements for HP-UX11i v3, it appears to need about 1.5G of RAM. Everything I find about the workstation states that the maximum amount of memory for the C3600 is 2G. This includes the first page of the HP Visualize C3600 UNIX workstation data sheet (Maximum main memory up to 2GB Synchronous DRAM); however, the second page of the data sheet indicates up to 8G (

main memory

Bus bandwidth                      2GB/sec

RAM type                                 120MHz SDRAM

Capacity                                   512MB-8GB

Memory slots                           8)

So which is it - 2G or 8G? I realize I am working with old(er) equipment and much of the information is dated, but I would feel better knowing I had >6G RAM available for my applications instead of 500M.

Thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 12 (1,245 Views)

Re: Maximum Memory of C3600 Workstation

[ Edited ]

>to upgrade to HP-UX 11. From looking over the requirements for HP-UX 11i v3,

The last supported HP-UX version for PA workstations is 11.11.  See:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01913755/c01913755.pdf

It mentions for C3600, you may need to update your firmware.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jakolodziej
Message 3 of 12 (1,239 Views)

Mr. Handly:

Thanks for the quick response and the information. I thought I may have to update the firmware/OS patch level - thanks for removing my doubt about the firmware! I will add this to my ever-expanding list of things to do.

As for the OS version, I should explain my situation a little more. For a few reasons, I actually plan to use HP-UX 11i v1 to upgrade from my current HP-UX B.10.20 environment. One reason is that we currently have a product called "Persistence" that, if I upgrade that product, I can only use up to HP-UX 11i v1. A second reason, as you point out, is that much of my hardware will not support HP-UX 11i v3. The reason that I asked initially about HP-UX 11i v3 is that I cannot buy a copy of HP-UX 11i v1. From what my HP sales rep tells me, HP-UX 11i v1 is past end-of-life, and he cannot sell it to me. He can only sell me HP-UX11i v3. His suggestion is that I buy v3 and only use v1 functionality (via software switches or some other magic - I do not fully understand how I will turn "off" v3 and v2 functionality at this point). So even though I will only use HP-UX 11i v1 functionality, I still need to load HP-UX 11i v3 software on all my C3600 workstations. This brings me back to my original question - does my C3600 workstation expand to 2GB or 8GB of memory?

Thanks again for the quick response and help.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 4 of 12 (1,236 Views)

>I actually plan to use HP-UX 11i v1 to upgrade from my current 10.20 environment.

Doing a cold install or using Upgrade?

Do you need a workstation or is a server good enough?

>is that I cannot buy a copy of HP-UX 11i v1. From what my HP sales rep tells me, 11i v1 is past end-of-life, and he cannot sell it to me. He can only sell me 11i v3.

That's true but if he can't make 11.11 available, that's useless for you.

>His suggestion is that I buy v3 and only use v1 functionality (via software switches or some other magic

This doesn't make sense to me.  If you can't boot, 11.31 isn't useful to you.  There is no magic that I know of.

>I still need to load HP-UX 11i v3 software on all my C3600 workstations. This brings me back to my original question

You can't do this, so this question is most likely moot.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jakolodziej
Message 5 of 12 (1,223 Views)

Mr. Handly:

Thanks for the quick response this time too and the info. I have a few follow-up questions based on your feedback.

As for the cold install or upgrade, this is a question I cannot answer. I am a developer given the upgrade assignment by my boss, but (as I understand it) our System Administrators will actually do the work when the time comes. My task is to come up with two (or three) options on how to go from B.10.20 to 11i which will be presented to upper management. Management will decide which option to pursue, and if/when appropriate, the SysAdm's will implement it. I hope to be involved heavily, at least initially, to learn as much as I can. I know with B10.20 you have the option of either cold install or upgrade, which option would you suggest?

As for not being able to boot, I am confused. My guess is you are saying that since 11.11 is the last version to support RISC, if I try to boot it up with 11.31, I will just be wasting my time (and money). Is this true?

A related question is while 11.31 is not officially supported for RISC, will it run anyway (no need to answer this if the last answer is yes)?

If I MUST run 11.11, how do I get a copy of it if HP Sales can/will not sell it to me? The Sales rep told me he would be happy to charge me if I could find a copy somewhere! Are there third parties that will give/sell me an end-of-life HP OS?

I really like the idea of ARIES and HP9000 Containers. This is functionality we could use on our project. IIRC, HP9000 Containers is new for 11.31. If I must use 11.11, will I be able to use one of/both/neither ARIES and/or HP9000 Containers?

Thanx again for the help.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Robert_Jewell
Message 6 of 12 (1,221 Views)

>  I know with B10.20 you have the option of either cold install or upgrade, which option would you suggest?

Cold install if you plan on installing 11.11.  The update from 10x to 11x was not always successful IIRC.

> My guess is you are saying that since 11.11 is the last version to support RISC, if I try to boot it up with 11.31, I will just be wasting my time (and money). Is this true?

11.31 is not supported on the hardware you reference.  Likely, it will not boot at all, but if it does, the system will quickly panic and reset.

> A related question is while 11.31 is not officially supported for  RISC, will it run anyway (no need to answer this if the last answer is yes)?

This is not true.  11.31 does support RISC, but only "newer: models such as rp7420, rp8640, Superdome, etc.

See the HP-UX server matrix for more info:  http://www.hp.com/go/hpuxservermatrix

>  If I MUST run 11.11, how do I get a copy of it if HP Sales can/will not sell it to me?

I would ask various resellers.  If you want support/patch access, you will need to license this with HP.

>  I really like the idea of ARIES and HP9000 Containers. This is functionality we could use on our project. IIRC, HP9000 Containers is new for 11.31. If I must use 11.11, will I be able to use one of/both/neither ARIES and/or HP9000 Containers?

This would be useful if you plan on running HP-UX on Integrity based hardware..which you may want to do if you really want to run 11.31 on a modern system.

HTH,

Bob

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jakolodziej
Message 7 of 12 (1,215 Views)

Mr Jewell:

Thanks for the help - I appreciate the advice. As for finding a copy of HP-UX 11i v1, can you suggest any resellers by name? I did a Google search yesterday, and from what I've seen, there are no resellers that sell the OS. I am, however, still looking and may find what I need.  Strangely, I looked around the HP website more closely and found these two product numbers: B9093AC and B9089AC. This seems like what I want, but all the "More Information" links are out of date. I will contact my HP Sales rep and see if I can buy these products still.

As for ARIES, you are correct. Sorry, I got confused - one of the options I will present to my Management is HP-UX 11i v3 on Integrity servers. I like the idea of taking all our existing applications and putting them on ARIES - sounds quick and painless.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Robert_Jewell
Message 8 of 12 (1,213 Views)

Sorry, but I dont have any vendor names to offer.  It was more an idea than advise I guess.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 9 of 12 (1,205 Views)

>if I try to boot it up with 11.31, I will just be wasting my time (and money). Is this true?

Yes.

>If I MUST run 11.11, how do I get a copy of it if HP Sales can/will not sell it to me? The Sales rep told me he would be happy to charge me if I could find a copy somewhere!

The correct answer would have been he would be glad to get it for you if you paid for time and materials. :-)

And of course for support.

>I really like the idea of ARIES and HP9000 Containers.

If you don't need a workstation head, then you could also purchase a PA server that supports 11.31.

>HP9000 Containers is new for 11.31. If I must use 11.11, will I be able to use one of/both/neither ARIES and/or HP9000 Containers?

HP9000 Containers is how you get your applications to Integrity.  Aries is what runs it.  And you will be running 11.31.

>I did a Google search yesterday, and from what I've seen, there are no resellers that sell the OS.

ebay?

>I looked around the HP website more closely and found these two product numbers: B9093AC and B9089AC. This seems like what I want, but all the "More Information" links are out of date. I will contact my HP Sales rep and see if I can buy these products still.

They are both are for servers and don't have media.  Wow: $14040.0 USD vs $750.0 USD

>I like the idea of taking all our existing applications and putting them on ARIES - sounds quick and painless

HP9000 Containers allows you to move apps over and keep them separated.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jakolodziej
Message 10 of 12 (1,200 Views)

Mr Handly,

Mr Jewell:

Thank you very much for the advice. I started out with (what I thought was) a simple question about max C3600 memory, and wound up with so much more info to think about and work through. It seems that my direction should change to focus on getting a copy of HP-UX 11.11. If I cannot, my options may be limited to Integrity servers.

Thanks again for the help.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 11 of 12 (1,191 Views)

[ Edited ]

>Thank you very much for the advice

If you are happy with the answers, please assign kudos.

(I just checked, I have a C3600 on 11.11 with 1 Gb.  .5 Gb went bad and was removed long ago.)

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
V. Nyga
Message 12 of 12 (1,127 Views)

>So which is it - 2G or 8G?

8GB is right - see also:
http://www.openpa.net/systems/hp-visualize_b1000_c3000_c3600.html

>can you suggest any resellers
Unfortunately one can't see anymore from which country a user is.
http://www.cypress-tech.com/hp-9000-workstations.html maybe?

I think it's easier to get a complete ws with HP-UX 11.11 installed - you could go to the last c8000 ...

HTH
V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation