ID address of HP b2600 workstation. (538 Views)
Occasional Advisor
rgarg263
Message 1 of 4 (538 Views)
Accepted Solution

ID address of HP b2600 workstation.

We have HP b2600 work station with ID no. Can I use this ID on another HP b2600 machine?

Is mac ID machine dependant?

CAn we copy and use on another machine?

Rajiv Garg.

Honored Contributor
Matti_Kurkela
Message 2 of 4 (528 Views)

Re: ID address of HP b2600 workstation.

It is not obvious which ID number you're talking about. Are you talking about the workstation serial number (viewable with "getconf MACHINE_SERIAL"), a machine identification number (viewable with "uname -i"), a MAC address (viewable with "lanscan") or something else?

A MAC address must be unique within a network segment - two systems with the same MAC address in the same network segment would sometimes get each other's traffic (and typically reject it, because it's not related to any active connection).

For a client connecting one of the two servers, it would seem like the server is randomly cutting off the connection; but when looking at each server's logs, it would seem like the clients just stop sending data. Some users might also notice that they sometimes reach one server, and sometimes the other.

If your network has managed switches with the "MAC address hijacking protection" feature, the switches would detect a duplicate MAC address and either log a warning, or temporarily disable both network ports with the duplicate MAC address.

MK
Occasional Advisor
rgarg263
Message 3 of 4 (519 Views)

Re: ID address of HP b2600 workstation.

SIR,

This is a machine identification number (viewable with "uname -i").

Can b2600 machine has same ID.

or How its can be made compatible for another machine?

Rajiv GArg

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 4 of 4 (516 Views)

Re: ID address of HP B2600 workstation.

>How can it be made compatible for another machine?

This is something only HP Support personnel can change.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.