Hp 712/80 CDROM (A2655A) (165 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Jiro Kage
Message 1 of 4 (165 Views)
Accepted Solution

Hp 712/80 CDROM (A2655A)

Hopefully this is in the right area. I just became the (proud) owner of two PA-RISC 712/80 systems that work was going to trash. Both of them boot up and display no error codes from the LED's. However, the HPUX loadout on both is somehow dead, either with the disk itself being bad or something else. From the boot menu it simply goes right back to the boot admin menu, over and over.

Now to the point: I want to get a CDROM so I can use one of the work copies of HPUX that we had to reinstall and fix this system back up. However, there was no external CDROM with these, and I found the the external one that HP lists is model A2655A. Is that the only CDROM that will work with this system? Or, could I plug the SCSI-2 plextor that I have in also.

Next question, with a copy of HPUX 10.20 workstation install media and this cdrom, will I be able to boot into the cdrom and go with the install from there?

Thanks for your time.
Honored Contributor
Dave Unverhau_1
Message 2 of 4 (165 Views)

Re: Hp 712/80 CDROM (A2655A)

Kage-San,

The 712/80 uses a single-ended SCSI-2 bus, so any external CD-ROM that's compatible with that bus should be OK to use. I have used other drives without a problem. Just be sure to select a unique SCSI address and terminate the bus correctly.

From the boot admin menu, if you issue the boot command with the path to the CD-ROM drive, it should be able to boot the "Core OS & Install" CD. If you're loading 10.20, make sure the CD is intended for a workstation platform and not a server platform. If it's the one you used for that system at work before, it should be fine.

Good luck -- the 712 is a neat little box for a personal HP-UX workstation!

Please post your successes/further questions and we'll try to help. You might want to post any NEW questions related to HP-UX on the HP-UX forum, though. They'll get read a lot quicker by the HP-UX experts. New questions about the hardware will be answered quicker if posted to the "workstations (hp visualize)" forum.

Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28
Occasional Contributor
Jiro Kage
Message 3 of 4 (165 Views)

Thanks Dave, that's exactly what I needed. I've found good prices on the external they recommend, so ill pick that up. I actually have two of the boxes, and I am going attempt to hook one up as a tape slave. But back to the issue - thanks for the response. I'm not new to forums, but new to this one, and sometimes your first post can be scary, not knowing the caliber or "maturity" of the other posters. But you answered my question totally - Thanks!

I'll let you all know how the install goes - once I get my grubby hands on the media and external drive!
Honored Contributor
Dave Unverhau_1
Message 4 of 4 (165 Views)

Glad I could help!

I know what you mean about that first post...I've only recently started to use the forums. I haven't actually posted any questions to this one, but I had similar trepidations about posting to other forums. Most of the folks on this one are very good and knowledgeable folks.

One other thing...you might want to get your hands on a copy of HP-UX 11.0, if you have it at work. It's the latest version of HP-UX supported on the 700 series of workstations. 11.0 has only one "flavor" that supports both 800-series servers and 700-series workstations. It requires more space for installation, though. While you can cram a decent installation onto a 2GB drive, you're better off to put 11.0 onto a 4GB or larger drive.

Of course, if 10.20 is what you use at work, you may want to stick with the same platform.

Best Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.