Re: How to access console of C8000 system (987 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Farhan_A_Azam
Message 1 of 6 (1,016 Views)

How to access console of C8000 system

Hi!,

I have one c8000, system is running fine and i'm able to login through telnet, now i want to login through serial console in the system. Is it possible, please let me know the steps.

thnx

Thanks...Farhan
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Matti_Kurkela
Message 2 of 6 (1,011 Views)

Re: How to access console of C8000 system

The C8000 was designed as a workstation model, so it does not include a remote management feature like iLO/MP. So the console is not accessible over the network without extra hardware.

If the workstation has a keyboard and display connected to it, the console is normally configured to be accessible through them. As far as I know, the PA-RISC workstations will automatically switch the console to serial port A if the workstation is powered on with no display, keyboard and mouse connected.

When the console is switched to the serial port, the PDC firmware menus and the bootloader (and the console login prompt, once the system has started up) should be accessible through the serial port A. The serial port settings are the usual for terminal-type use: speed (baud rate) 9600 bps, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, XON/XOFF flow control.

MK
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Farhan_A_Azam
Message 3 of 6 (1,006 Views)

Hi Matti,

thanks for your inputs..

I can understand that these are the work station & it doesn't have feature like MP. But my question is :-

1) Will i be able login through serail port -A, whiler server is running or Console through Serial-A is accesible only when server is booting.

please clarify....

thnx...
Thanks...Farhan
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Robert_Jewell
Message 4 of 6 (998 Views)

You should be able to access the console through the serial port as described.   Once there you can set your console path permanently to the serial port using the PA command.

You may also want to disable your graphics session from starting if the OS was built on this system with graphics installed.  Edit /etc/rc.config.d/desktop

Change:

DESKTOP=CDE

to:

DESKTOP=

-Bob

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Farhan_A_Azam
Message 5 of 6 (995 Views)

Hi Robert,

#cat /etc/rc.config.d/desktop

# CDE Desktop disabled.

Whenever i poweroff & poweron the server, i am able to login through serial console and getting BCH, but after booting unable to access through serial console. Any suggestion.

thnx...

Thanks...Farhan
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Robert_Jewell
Message 6 of 6 (987 Views)

Did you change your console path?

What is the last thing you see on the serial terminal when you boot?

-Bob

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation